Daniel Doron is the Director of the Israel Center for Social and Economic Progress. After serving in Air Force Intelligence during the 1948 war and studying Sociology and Economics at the Hebrew University, Doron pursued a career in literature, journalism and government (under Teddy Kollek, then director-general of the Prime Minister's Office). Doron was delegated by the Prime Minister's Office to serve as Special Consultant to the US Embassy in Tel Aviv.
He subsequently resumed his studies as a Fellow of the University of Chicago's Committee on Social Thought, and then with Lionel Trilling and Jacques Barzun as a Visiting Scholar at Columbia University. Since 1973, Doron has been involved in political and economic reform in Israel, helping to found the Shinui (Change) Party.
Doron was sole representative of the internationally-renowned artist Shalom of Safed, arranging his 15 museum exhibitions. Doron's film on Shalom won several awards and represented the US in international festivals.
Since 1983, Doron has devoted all his time to ICSEP. He served on an economic advisory group for Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and on the Israel Government Council for National and Economic Planning, is a member of the Board of the Entrepreneurial Center of Tel Aviv University, and a member of the Mont Pelerin Society. He has published articles in The Wall Street Journal, the Financial Times, The New Republic, The Weekly Standard and Reason as well as in other US publications and in the Israeli press. He is a regular columnist for The Jerusalem Post.
Attendance at Herzliya Conference
Director Daniel Doron has spoken twice at the Herzliya Conference, the major annual gathering of military and political figures in Israel.
- At the Sixth Herzliya Conference he was part of a panel discussing 'Social Policy and Economic Growth' on 24 January 2006
- At the Twelfth Herzliya Conference Doron spoke on the topic 'Governing Israel's Economy: Social Justice vs. Capitalism' on 1 February 2012
- Taming Leviathan - Waging the war of ideas around the world, Institute of Economic Affairs, accessed 9 August 2012
- Program, The 6th Conference, herzliyaconference.org, accessed 6 June 2012.
- The Twelfth Annual Herzliya Conference, herzliyaconference.org, accessed 1 June 2012.
- Daniel Doron, Assessing Israel's national strength, Jerusalem Post, 21 December 2000.