Not to be confused with John Patten, Lord Patten.
Patten was the Member of Parliament for Bath from 1979 to 1992.
Whilst in Parliament he served as an Under-Secretary of State in the Northern Ireland Office from 14 June 193 to 2 September 1985, Secretary of State for the Environment 1989-90; Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster 1990-92 and Chair, Conservative Party 1990-92.
Patten was Governor of Hong Kong in April 1992, a position he held until 1997, overseeing the return of Hong Kong to China. He was Chairman of the Independent Commission on Policing for Northern Ireland set up under the Good Friday Peace Agreement, which reported in 1999.
- Non-executive director, Russell Reynolds Associates Inc (company research)
- Member, European Advisory Board, Bridgepoint (private equity group)
- Member, EDF Stakeholder Advisory Panel (electricity)
- Member, International Advisory Board of BP (energy)
- Adviser, Hutchison Europe (telecomms, property, transport)
- Address: House of Lords, London, SW1A 0PW
- Tel: 020 7219 8736
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lord Patten of Barnes, Parliament.UK, accessed 23 December 2014
- David Butler and Gareth Butler, Twentieth Century British Political Facts 1900-2000, Macmillan, 2000, p.41.
- The Rt Hon the Lord Patten of Barnes, CH, The University of Oxford, 23 December 2014
- Lord Patten to stand down from BBC for health reasons BBC News, 6 May 2014, accessed 23 December 2014
- Interests and amendments Parliament.UK, accessed 23 December 2014