Controversial fracking firm Cuadrilla Energy Resources has licences to test-drill for shale gas in Lancashire, at sites in Weeton (Preese Hall), Anna's Road also known as Westby, Grange Hill, Singleton and Banks, near Southport. The firm also owns sites in Wharles, Kirkham and Elswick, which was fracked by previous owners.
On 28 May 2015 Smith called for a debate on fracking in Lancashire,
- Will the Leader of the House grant time for a debate on the issue of fracking in Lancashire, which is of great concern to many of my constituents?”
The leader of the House of Commons Chris Grayling replied:
- “The issue has been widely debated in the House, and I know that it is of concern to the hon. Lady’s constituents. However, I also believe that it is important to ensure that we have proper, affordable supplies of energy for the future. We must deal with the issue carefully and sensitively. There will be plenty of opportunities for the hon. Lady to raise it during next week’s debate on the Queen’s Speech or by means of an Adjournment debate, and I know that she will be a champion of her constituents in this regard. I must say to her, however, that it is very important to, in particular, the pensioners in her constituency for us to ensure that there is affordable energy for all our futures.”
Police have launched a probe into the campaign expenses of new Labour Party MP and Shadow Minister for Women and Equalities Catherine Smith. Ms Smith is facing questions over the way she declared office rent and staffing costs.
Political blog Guido Fawkes claimed the investigation has come about because Smith only declared half the rent of her campaign office, which she claims was also used by the council for campaigning, as well as under-declaring her campaign organiser, a role advertised at £22, 547 a year. Smith claims however that Ben Singleton, the staffer in question, spent the majority of his time working for the national Labour party campaign. Smith's expenses for the 2015 election were £2000 under the constituency threshold. 
- Erica Lewis - Director, Office for the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education; Doctoral student, Lancaster University Management School 
- Lauren Patterson 
- John Percival 
- Cat Smith MP www.parliament.uk, accessed 29 May 2015
- Eric Ollerenshaw www.parliament.uk, accessed 29 May 2015
- Lancaste & Fleetwood parliamentary constituency BBC News, 8 May 2015, accessed 29 May 2015
- Emilio Casilicchio, 'Police probe Labour frontbencher Cat Smith', 24 May 2016, Politics Home, accessed 24 May 2016
- Register of interests of members' secretaries and research assistants, 23 March 2016, parliament.uk, accessed 25 April 2016