Beverley Hughes (Baroness Hughes of Stretford) was the Labour member of parliament for Stretford and Urmston between 1997 and 2010. She is currently the Shadow Spokeperson for education.
After leaving her role in parliament in 2010, Hughes was appointed as a strategic adviser to WCL consultancy.
Hughes was the Labour MP for Stretford and Urmston from 1997 to 2010. In 1997 she won 58.5 percent, 61.1 percent in 2001 and 51 percent in 2005, before deciding not to stand in the 2010 general election for 'personal reasons'. In parliament she held the roles of parliamentary under-secretary to the Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions and Home Office and minister of state to the Home Office, Department for Education and Skills and Department for Children, Schools and Families. She is currently the Shadow Spokesperson for education.
In 2004, Hughes resigned from her role as immigration minister after admitting she 'unwittingly' misled people about a suspected visa scam, after the Conservative Party accused the Home Office of approving visa claims from Eastern Europeans despite warnings they were back by forged documents.
- Strategic Adviser, WCL (Change Management Consultancy), June 2010. Approved by ACOBA who saw "no reason why she should not take up the appointment forthwith, subject to the condition that, for 12 months after leaving office, she should not become personally involved in lobbying UK Ministers or Crown servants, including Special Advisers, on behalf of the firm or any of their clients".
Register of interests
- Chair of Council, University of Salford
- Strategic Policy Adviser, Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce
- Non-executive Director, Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce (part-time)
- Non-Executive Director, The Lowry Trust
- Stretford and Urmston The Guardian, accessed 4 December 2014
- Beverley Hughes to stand down as MP at general election The Telegraph, 2 June 2009, accessed 4 December 2014
- Baroness Hughes of Stretford They Work For You, accessed 4 December 2014
- Baroness Hughes of Stretford Parliament.UK, accessed 4 December 2014
- Hughes resigns over visa scam row BBC News, 1 April 2004, accessed 4 December 2014
- Twelfth Report 2010-2011 Advisory Committee on Business Appointments, accessed 4 December 2014