Asia-Pacific Security Challenges
The conference was designed to address the threat to security posed by "terrorism, nuclear proliferation and spread of weapons of mass destruction, deadly diseases, drug trafficking as well as energy and food security", in the Asia-Pacific area which is described as "the most unstable region of the contemporary world".
The reasons for this instability according to the conference outline are:
- The fallout from Middle East tensions, particularly the conflict in Iraq
- The Iranian regime of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
- Instability in Afghanistan
- Terrorist insurgencies in "lawless Western Pakistan, possibly along with Osama Bin Laden"
- Nuclearised North Korea.
- China is also identified as a security threat for:
- "Seeking a position of regional hegemon, challenging the influence of the U.S.", the reason for this is put down to "China's goal may be to fundamentally change the post-WWII strategic balance in the region, carefully built by the Americans, in it's favour." China is accused of "Unscrupulous" trade with authoritarian regimes in Sudan, Venezuela and Mynamar.
Alberto Romulo | Alexandr Vondra | Brian Kennedy | C. Richard D’Amato | C.S. Kiang | Christian Wagner | Diego Ruiz Palmer | Fort Fu-Te Liao | Frank Gaffney | Guy F Caruso | Jana Kosarkova | Jean-Luc Racine | Jir Sedivy | Jiri Schneider | Karel Kovanda | Karel Schwarzenberg | Konstantin Simonov | Martin Hala | Mead Treadwell | Mlynec Restaurant | Nadeeka Withana | Narushige Michishita | Nobuo Tanaka | Oldrich Cerny | Paulo Sergio Pinheiro | Pavel Bem | Peter R. Huessy | Pierre Morel | Richard Lawless | Richard W. Graber | Roger W Robinson | Ruppert Hammond-Chambers | Sang Hyun Lee | Susan Sim | Tomas Smetanka | Tseten Samdup Chhoekyapa | Vaclav Bartuska | Vaclav Havel | Waheguru Pal Sidhu| William F Martin | Yury Fedorov
- PSSI Asia-Pacific Security Challenges: Implications for Europe and Atlantic Alliance,Prague Security Studies Institute, Accessed 25-February-2009
- PSSI, APC Conference Overview, Prague Security Studies Institute, Accessed 04-June-2009