Apax Partners is a private equity firm. It operates in five sectors: Tech & Telecom, Retail & Consumer, Media, Financial & Business Services and Healthcare. It describes itself as "one of the leading global investors in the Healthcare sector."
Capturing global health reform 'opportunities'
An Apax Partners conference in October 2010, called 'Opportunities Post Global Healthcare Reforms' featured Mark Britnell of KPMG. Britnell is quoted as saying: “In future, the NHS will be a state insurance provider not a state deliverer". He is also quoted as telling the healthcare executives present: "The NHS will be shown no mercy and the best time to take advantage of this will be in the next couple of years."
An Apax Partners conference in Nov 2009 called 'Capturing opportunities in the context of global health reform', brought together '35 distinguished health care leaders from the United States and 35 from around the world for a deep, rigorous dialogue in a candid setting.' Speakers included David Nicholson CEO of the NHS. He is reported as saying that
- to ensure the sustainability of today’s model of health care delivery, health systems must find ways to drive significant productivity gains – at a speed and on a scale that has never been achieved before. Innovation and competition will be the keys to ensuring systems’ sustainability – at the NHS and in all of the world’s health systems.
- General Healthcare Group
- Norman Warner, former UK health Minister and Labour peer
- Autonomy Systems Ltd - Apax sold a stake in software firm Autonomy for £1 billion in 2001.
- Private Healthcare Network Map
- Tamasin Cave, “The NHS will be shown no mercy" says Cameron health adviser, Spinwatch, 9 May 2011