39th Infantry Brigade
39th Infantry Brigade was one of three British Army brigade headquarters in Northern Ireland from the the outbreak of the troubles in 1969. It covered the Belfast area and its commander reported to the Commander Land Forces (Northern Ireland).
Partial list of commanders
- Peter Hudson c.1968
- Frank Kitson c.1970-1972
- Alexander Boswell c. 1972-1974
- Dick Gerrard-Wright c.1976.
- D.J. Ramsbotham 1978-1980
- Tony Crowfoot c.1980
- Mike Jackson c. 1989
- A.S.H. Irwin c.1993
- Nicholas Houghton 1997-99.
- Mark Urban, Big Boys' Rules: The SAS and the Secret Struggle against the IRA, Faber and Faber, 1992, p.16.
- National Archives file PREM 16/1817.
- Summary Guide, RAMSBOTHAM, General Sir David John (b 1934), Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives, Kings College London, accessed 22 June 2010.
- Vice Chief of the Defence Staff (VCDS) Ministry of Defence, accessed 21 November 2010.