Dame Vivien Louise Duffield, (née Clore; born 26 March 1946) is an English philanthropist.
Life and career
Her marriage to British financier John Duffield produced two children, Arabella and George. The marriage ended in divorce in 1976. From 1973 until 2005, she was in a relationship with Sir Jocelyn Stevens, who was managing director of Express Newspapers and Chairman of English Heritage.
After her father's death in 1979, Duffield assumed the Chairmanship of the Clore Foundations in the UK and in Israel. In the UK she also established her own Vivien Duffield Foundation in 1987, and the two foundations merged in 2000 to become the Clore Duffield Foundation.
Duffield's UK Foundation has supported a wide range of organisations including the Royal Opera House, Tate, the Royal Ballet, the British Museum, the Natural History Museum, Dulwich Picture Gallery, the Southbank Centre and Eureka! The National Children's Museum. The Foundation has made a particular contribution to cultural education, having funded dozens of Clore Learning Centres across the UK, and to leadership training, having launched the Clore Leadership Programme for the cultural sector in 2003 and the Clore Social Leadership Programme in 2008.
In addition to the Chairmanship of her Foundation, Duffield was a member of the Board of the Royal Opera House from 1990 to 2001 and is currently Chairman of the Royal Opera House Endowment Fund. She is a Director of the Southbank Centre board and a Governor of the Royal Ballet. From 2007 to 2010 she was Chair of The Campaign for Oxford, Oxford University. She is the founder of JW3, London's new Jewish Community Centre, which opened on the Finchley Road in October 2013. She is Chairman of the Clore Foundation in Israel.
A 2005 London Evening Standard article estimated that she and the Foundations she controls had donated in excess of £176 million. In March 2011, amid heavy Government cuts on the arts, she donated £8.2 million for educational purposes to 11 leading arts institutions. Following her departure from the board of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, Duffield subsequently donated £1M to the re-development of the London Coliseum.
- Jerusalem Foundation Trustees Limited - Executive board and Trustee from 31 March 2008 This is the UK branch of the Jerusalem Foundation.
Thatcher Day Centre
Duffield was behind the creation of the 'Margaret Thatcher Day Care Center' in Sderot in the Western Negev in the South of Israel. Her involvement was mentioned by Margaret Thatcher in a 1990 address to the WIZO:
- May I also thank Vivien Duffield for the marvellous decision which she has just announced to endow a day centre in Sderot, and name it after me. That is a wonderful way to mark this occasion and I know that you will all want to join me in thanking her very warmly indeed for her generosity. And I look forward very much to visiting the centre one day.
The centre was opened in 1992 and Thatcher attended the opening ceremony
- Margaret Thatcher, who has likened herself to a tigress, says Golda Meir, the late Israeli leader, "had the heart of a lioness." The former British prime minister, in Israel on a private visit, spoke Monday at the dedication of The Margaret Thatcher Day Care Center in Sderot, Israel.She took the opportunity to praise Meir, "who in fact showed us that even at great times of trial and difficulty and danger a woman prime minister had the heart of a lioness."
- Clore Duffield Foundation official web site.
- Andrew Anthony Vivien Duffield: The woman who thinks it's better to give The Observer, 26 March 2011. Accessed 6 March 2018
- Tim Adams No sweet Charity, The Observer 28 May 2000, accessed 6 March 2018
- LMH, Oxford – Prominent Alumni, accessed 6 march 2018
- Elizabeth Grice Dame Vivien Duffield: 'You're lucky if you have one good relationship', The Daily Telegraph 29 May 2008, accessed 6 March 2018
- simon Tait Vivien Duffield: Funding is child's play The Independent 29 June 2004, accessed 6 March 2018
- Charlotte Edwardes Meet Dame Vivien Duffield, London's super-philanthropist – and step-granny to that 'wild beauty' Cara Delevingne London Evening Standard 10 July 2013, accessed 6 March 2016.
- Dan Glaister Lady bountiful, The Guardian 15 November 2011, accessed 6 March 2018.
- Companies House, Jerusalem Foundation Trustees Limited. Accessed 12 March 2018.
- Sources: Clore Duffield Foundation Annual Report and Accounts, 2012- 2016.
- Margaret Thatcher Speech at Women’s International Zionist Organisation Centenary Lunch, Margaret Thatcher Foundation, 2 May 1990.
- `TIGRESS' THATCHER SAYS MEIR WAS LIONHEARTED Deseret News Published: November 18, 1992 12:00 am.