Societe Generale de Surveillance
Société Générale de Surveillance (SGS) is a British owned inspection, testing, validation and certification ﬁrm for the Agriculture, Automotive, Oil and Gas, Minerals and other industries, and also Systems and Services and governments and large institutions.
SGS UK is also a global leader in certifying projects which generate and trade carbon credits. SGS UK has verified around 35 percent of what is estimated to be 350 million tonnes of carbon offsets under Kyoto Protocol’s Clean Development Mechanism. 
Suspended for short-cutting carbon projects
In September 2009 SGS was suspended by the UN as 'it was unable to prove its staff had properly vetted projects that were then approved for the carbon-trading scheme, or even that they were qualified to do so' . The suspension was lifted in December 2009.
Their suspension was the second to blight the image of the $100 billion carbon trading market, after DNV auditors, Norway were suspended the previous November. While active SGS credited some very large and controversial projects, such as the Noel Kempff Climate Action Project (NKCAP), sponsored by American Electric Power, BP and PacifiCorp in Bolivia which has been criticised by a Greenpeace report, "Carbon Scam: Noel Kempff Climate Action Project and the Push for Sub-national Forest Offsets".
SGS UK people
The following list is current according to the SGS website as at January 2010:
- Pauline Earl Managing Director, from 1st October 2007- with SGS since 1995.
- Sergey Putintsev Business Development Manager, Business Manager Government and Institution Services- with SGS since 1998.
- Jan SaundersBusiness Manager, Automotive Services
- Keith Hutchinson Business Manager, Consumer
- Malcolm Cooper Business Manager, Oil Gas and Chemicals Services
- Jim Weaver Business Manager, Systems and Service Certification
- Blane Paterson Business Manager, Agricultural and Minerals Services
- Mark Dowell Business Manager Industrial Services
- David Martland UK HR Manager
- Jane GriffithsUK Finance Director
- Catherine Aldag Manager – UK Legal Services
- Michael Szabo UN panel rejects carbon financing for China windfarms, lifts SGS suspension Reuters, Dec 4th 2009. Accessed 01/02/10
- Danny Fortson, Georgia Warren Carbon-trading market hit as UN suspends clean-energy auditor The Sunday Times, September 13, 2009. Accessed 01/02/10
- Ariana Densham, Roman Czebiniak, Daniel Kessler, Rolf Skar Carbon Scam: Noel Kempff Climate Action Project and the Push for Sub-national Forest Offsets Greenpeace, October 2009. Accessed 01/02/10
- SGS website Management Accessed 01/02/10