Simon Burns has been Conservative Party MP for Chelmsford since 2010, retaining his seat with a majority of 18,250.  He was previously MP for Chelmsford 1987-1997, and MP for West Chelmsford 1997-2010.
He was junior health minister at the end of John Major's Government and a shadow health minister from 2001-05.
According to the Health Service Journal: "His brief is wide but his responsibility for “legislation” is the most significant, as he will be the key link between Tory MPs worried about health reforms and Mr Lansley. His main job for 2011 will be to work the Commons tea rooms and keep the troops in line.
Burns left the Government in October 2013.
- Simon Burns Express, accessed 19 May 2015
- Rt Hon Mr Simon Burns, www.parliament.uk, accssed 7 October 2013.
- Full list of new cabinet ministers and other government appointments, guardian.co.uk, 13 May 2010.
- Health Service Journal, HSJ100 2010, 17 November, 2010
- Michael Moore axed as Scottish secretary as reshuffle begins, BBC News, 7 October 2013.