Roland Berger attended grammar schools in Landshut, Munich. As a high school student in Nuremberg, Berger studied humanities, Latin, and Greek, graduating in 1956. He studied economics and business in Hamburg and München.
Roland Berger founded Roland Berger Strategy Consultants in 1967. He led the company as CEO and continued as the Chairman of the Supervisory Board from 2003. He's been the company's Honorary Chairman since 2010. The company has 2,400 employees working in 35 countries. In 2008 he set up the Roland Berger Foundation with an endowment of EUR 50 million. Each year the foundation confers the Roland Berger Award for Human Dignity. In October 2019 Roland Berger postponed the 2019 award ceremony following reports on his father’s role in the Nazi era. Berger, explained: “I acknowledge with sadness and disappointment that the Polish Human Rights Commissioner Adam Bodnar and his office do not wish to accept the award. The same is true of the network School without Racism – School with Courage, which has issued a press release to that effect.”
Berger is a founding partner and chairman of London-based RiverRock European Capital Partners (formerly BLM Partners). From 2011 to 2017 Berger served as a member of the Advisory Council of INSEAD. He was a member of the supervisory board of the pharmaceuticals and healthcare company Fresenius SE from 2008 to 2016.
- Institute for Strategic Dialogue - Board member.
- Roland Berger Strategy Consultants - Founder, Honorary Chairman.
- Roland Berger Foundation - Founder, Chair, Board of Trustees.
- International Advisory Council of Bocconi University, Honorary member.
- RiverRock European Capital Partners, Founding partner & chairman.
- Berger, Roland; Dutta, Soumitra; Raffel, Tobias; Samuels, Geoffrey (2008). Innovating at the Top: How Global CEOs Drive Innovation for Growth and Profit. Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 978-0-230-57573-8.
- Roland Berger - Company History, Funding Universe. Accessed 28 November 2019.
- Roland Berger - Who Are We, Roland Berger website. Accessed 28 November 2019.
- Roland Berger Profile, Roland Berger website. Accessed 28 November 2019.
- The Roland Berger Foundation has cancelled its award ceremony on October 21, 2019 at the Jewish Museum Berlin, Roland Berger Stiftung (English translation). Accessed 29 November 2019.
- Advisors and Partners, RiverRock website. Accessed 29 November 2019.
- About INSEAD: Advisory Council. INSEAD website via Internet Archive. Accessed 29 November 2019.
- Fresenius nominates Supervisory Board candidates for election by 2016 Annual General Meeting. Fresenius website. Accessed 29 November 2019.
- International Advisory Council, Bocconi University website. Accessed 29 November 2019.