Reuven Avi-Ran is a pseudonym used by Reuven Erlich in writing about Syria in between 1976 and 1991. At the time Erlich was a serving Israeli intelligence officer. According to a biographical note at the IDC:
- Dr. Erlich also focused on Syrian-Lebanese issues in his academic studies. In 1998 he was awarded a PhD degree from Tel Aviv University for his dissertation on “The Policy of the Zionist Movement and the State of Israel toward Lebanon (1919-1958).” He has published five books and many articles dealing with those subjects, including a book published in the United States under the name Reuven Avi-Ran called The Syrian Involvement in Lebanon since 1975, Westview Press, 1991.
His role as an intelligence operative seems not to have been mentioned in academic reviews of this work. For example he is referred to in one 1992 review as 'an Israeli scholar of Middle Eastern affairs'.
- Avi-Ran, Reuven. The Syrian Involvement in Lebanon (1975-1985). Tel Aviv: Ma'arachot ,1986. (Hebrew)
- Avi-Ran, Reuven. The Syrian Involvement in Lebanon Since 1975. Boulder: Westview Press, 1991.
- Avi-Ran, Reuven. The War in Lebanon -Arabic Documents and Sources, vol.1 Tel Aviv: Ma'arachot, 1987. (Hebrew)
- Avi-Ran, Reuven. The War in Lebanon -Arabic Documents and Sources, vol.2 Tel Aviv: Ma'arachot, 1987. (Hebrew)
Articles and Reports
- Avi-Ran, Reuven. "Is a Syrian-Israeli Settlement Possible in Lebanon?" Ma'arachot (February, 1983). (Hebrew)
- Avi-Ran, Reuven. "The Involvement of Syria in the Crisis in Lebanon- Motives, Characteristics and Aims" Ma'arachot (October, 1976). (Hebrew)
- Avi-Ran, Reuven. "Syria and the Christian Camp in Lebanon 1975-1978, from Cooperation to Violent Conflict, The Shiloach Institute for Research in the Middle East and Africa ( May 1980). (Hebrew)
- Avi-Ran, Reuven. "The Syrian Involvement in Lebanon (1975-1991)," Published within: Avner Yaniv, Moshe Maoz, and Avi Kover (Editors) Syria and the Security of Israel (Tel Aviv: Ma'arachot 1991). (Hebrew)
- Avi-Ran, Reuven. " Syria's Military-Strategic Interest in Lebanon: Syrian Attempts to Establish Military Cooperation with Lebanon since the 1950s," Ma'arachot (December, 1987). (Hebrew) Avi-Ran, Reuven. "The Syrian -Palestinian Conflict in Lebanon," The Jerusalem Quarterly (Spring, 1987).
- Avi-Ran, Reuven. "The Syrian-Strategic Interest in Lebanon," The Jerusalem Quarterly (Spring, 1988).
- Avi-Ran, Reuven. "The War -Peace for the Galilee: Syrian Involvement in the Crisis in Lebanon," Ma'arachot (September, 1982). (Hebrew).
- International Policy Institute for Counter-Terrorism Dr Reuven Erlich, accessed 6 January 2009
- Nabil Kaylani 'Reviewed work(s): The Syrian Involvement in Lebanon since 1975 by Reuven Avi-Ran; David Maisel International Journal of Middle East Studies, Vol. 24, No. 3 (Aug., 1992), pp. 546-548, Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/164653
- Listed at the end of: Dr. Reuven Erlich Terror and Crime in Lebanon: The Removal of Syria and Lebanon from the US Department List of Countries Selling Drugs, April 25, 1998