According to a British Chambers of Commerce press release:
- Peter Mileham’s (63) early career was in the Construction Industry, joining the Shepherd Building Group of York in 1964. His main responsibilities at that time were in the field of speculative housing development. In the early 1970’s Peter was promoted and transferred to Manchester where he was Senior Surveyor on a number of significant contracts in the North West.
- Being naturally inclined towards the promotional side of business, Peter joined Liquid Plastics Ltd of Preston, manufacturers of specialist coatings for the construction industry, as a Sales Executive in 1973, rapidly gaining promotion to Scottish Sales Manager and then Deputy National Sales Manager. In 1979 the expansion of the business demanded the formation of a Marketing Department, which he founded, joining the Board of Directors as Marketing Director in 1982. This position was held until 2003 over which time turnover had increased from roughly £300,000 to over £40m today, with markets in 150 countries around the world. Over the past ten years, Peter has played a major role in establishing branches in Belgium and the USA and setting up two additional manufacturing businesses in the UK which now collectively operate as the Iotech Group.
- Currently in the role of Commercial Director, Peter heads a team devoted to seeking out and exploiting new market opportunities internationally.
- In addition to his directorships of Liquid Plastics Ltd, Peter is the Local Chairman (Preston & North West) of the Yorkshire Bank and a member of SABRE, a body devoted to supporting Britain’s Army Reservists and Employers.
- Strongly interested in business development and encouraging small businesses to succeed, Peter joined the Chamber of Commerce movement in 1990 and has served as Director and President of North and West Lancs Chamber of Commerce, Vice Chairman of North West Chambers, Director of British Chambers of Commerce and Chairman of the British Venezuelan Chamber of Commerce. He is politically well connected and has, over the past twenty years, maintained cross-party involvement having worked on a number of Government sponsored research projects as well as lobbying on matters of interest to business.
- Peter was born in Scarborough, Yorkshire, where he was educated at local schools. He went on to further education at York & Hull Technical Colleges qualifying as a Member of the Chartered Institute of Building. Peter is a keen supporter of the arts and is married with two daughters.
- He became Deputy Lieutenant of Lancashire in 2004 and, in this capacity, is a member of the Duchy of Lancaster Benevolent Fund Committee.