Lord Henley is parliamentary under secretary of state at the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.
Shale regulator announcement
Henley made a statement in the House of Commons on 17 May 2018 about the government's intention to set up a 'Shale Environmental Regulator'.
- The UK regulatory regime for shale gas is considered among the most robust and stringent in the world. However, we acknowledge that it is also complex, with three regulators, the Environment Agency, the Health and Safety Executive and the Oil and Gas Authority, all with responsibilities for regulation. It is not always transparent to both the public and industry who is responsible for what. Therefore, the Government is setting up a Shale Environmental Regulator which will bring the regulators together to act as one coherent single face for the public, mineral planning authorities and industry.
- We intend to establish the regulator from the summer.
- We anticipate that the plans for the Shale Environmental Regulator and future consultations will only apply in England. 
- Lord Henley www.parliament.uk, accessed 8 December 2014
- Written statement: Made by: Lord Henley (Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy)), www.parliament.uk, 17 May 2018