- Member of three-person External Evaluation Panel (with Karin Lissakers, and Ishrat Husain) appointed by IMF Board to evaluate and report to the Board on the performance of the Independent Evaluation Office (2005-2006).
- Member of Davos Faculty and participant at the World Economic Forum, Davos 25-29 January 2006
- Member of Board of the Overseas Development Institute, London (since 2004).
- Adviser to UNITAR training programmes in Geneva (2002) and in Serbia-Montenegro (2003) on working with International Financial and Economic Institutions.
- Adviser to the UN Human Development Report (since 2001 and special role as Lead Consultant on the 2002 Report).
- Member of the Advisory Group of the Center for Global Development, Washington DC (since 2003)
- Governor of the Ditchley Foundation (since 2003)
- Founding Board member of ILEAP (International Lawyers and Economists Against Poverty: a trade capacity-building project) based at Law School of the University of Toronto.
- Member of 12-person Commonwealth Secretariat Expert Group on Development and Democracy (2002-2003) chaired by Manmohan Singh (now Prime Minister of India).
- Chair of High-Level Working Group of Developing Country Finance Officials on International Institutional Reform in the Global Financial Governance Initiative (supported by the IDRC, Ottawa, Canada)
Member of the following Editorial Boards: Ethics and International Affairs Cambridge Studies in International Relations (from 2000) International Relations of the Asia Pacific (from 2000) Journal of Global Social Policy (from 1999) The Round Table: Commonwealth Journal of International Affairs
- Member of the following Advisory Boards: Prospect Magazine (from 1994) Demos (public policy thinktank) (from 1999) · International Policy Forum, H.M. Treasury (from 1999)
- Adviser to Wingate Foundation Scholarships Committee (from 1994)
- Trustee of ‘The Link Foundation' (from 1999) · UK delegate to Asia-Europe Young Leaders Symposium, 24-28 May 1999, South Korea. · Member of the International Advisory Board of UNU/INCORE project on conflict resolution and ethnicity.