Michael Bates, Lord Bates, was made a Conservative peer in 2008. He was previously MP for Langbaurgh 1992-97, during which time he helds posts as a government whip and as paymaster general. He served as Deputy Chair of the Conservative Party 2007-10, and as Shadow Minister (Business, Innovation and Skills) 2009-10. he was appointed a Lords Whip in October 2013.
Less than a year later, in March 2016, Bates resigned from the government.
- Xuelin Bates, wife
Recorded by the Electoral Commission:
|Date||Name of donor||Amount||Donated to||Subsidiary (parties only)|
|28/06/2005||Michael Bates||£4,995.00||Conservative Party||North Essex|
- Lord Bates, www.parliament.uk, accessed 8 October 2013.
- Ministerial appointments: 7 October 2013, Prime Minister's Office, 7 October 2013.
- Ministerial appointments: August 2014, Prime Minister's Office, 6 August 2014.
- Lord Bates ProfileGov.UK, accessed 24 September 2015
- Electoral Commission, Donation search: 'Bates', accessed 5 May 2015