- Coalition for a Democratic Majority
- Committee on the Present Danger
- Eurasia Foundation
- Jewish Institute for National Security Affairs
- Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs
- Freedom House - where he serves as Chairman Emeritus of the Board of Trustees (he was formerly Chairman of the Board). His biography also describes him as "Of Counsel" with Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson, as Chairman Emeritus of Georgetown University's Institute for the Study of Diplomacy and Chairman Emeritus of the American Academy of Diplomacy. He is also described as Counselor of the Department of State and Ambassador and Head of the United States Delegation to the Negotiations with the Soviet Union on Nuclear and Space Arms in Geneva. He has also served as Ambassador and Head of the U.S. Delegation to the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe, was a founder and moderator of Washington Week in Review and served as Chairman of the Washington Public Broadcasting radio and TV stations.
- MEMRI - Board of Advisors
- Freedom House Board of Trustees Accessed 15th May 2009