Frampton was educated at Jesus College, Cambridge, where he earned a Starred First in History. He also holds an MPhil in International Relations and a doctorate in History. 
- The Long March: The Political Strategy of Sinn Fein, 1981-2007, Palgrave Macmillan, 2008.
- With John Bew and Inigo Gurruchaga, Talking to Terrorists: Making Peace in Northern Ireland and the Basque Country, C Hurst & Co Publishers Ltd, 2009.
- With Shiraz Maher, Choosing our friends wisely: Criteria for engagement with Muslim groups, Policy Exchange, 8 March 2009.
- While the West fiddles, Iran's people..., Henry Jackson Society, 7 March 2006.
- Reform for the Future, Remuneration for the Past: Keeping the Pressure on Libya, Henry Jackson Society, 21 March 2006.
- ‘The Blanket’ and the Cartoon Controversy: Anthony McIntyre Interviewed, Henry Jackson Society, 9 May 2006.
- The Courage of Her Convictions, Henry Jackson Society, 25 September 2006.
- With John Bew, Talking to Terrorists: The Myths, Misconceptions and Misapplication of the Northern Ireland Peace Process, Jerusalem Centre for Public Affairs, July 2008.
- With John Bew, Talking to Terrorists, Henry Jackson Society, 17 June 2009.