Aliyeva is the daughter of the Azeri president Ilham Aliyev and is the spouse of Emil Aghalarov and daughter in law of the ‘famous Russian businessman, president of Crocus Grup Aras Agalarov’(also spelled Araz Aghalarov)
Justice for Khojaly
Aliyeva is the main force behins the Justice For Khojaly campaign. Announcements about the campaign are sent out by the 'State Telegraph Agency of the Republic of Azerbaijan', suggesting an amount of state support for the campaign. for example in June 2009 a book published on the website of Justice for Khojaly received the following write-up:
- On the Russia Day, Justice for Khojaly Campaign posted on its website an online version of the Bloody pool of Karabakh book by Prof. Yuri Pompeyev, well-known Russian writer and journalist.
- The book is based on written materials and interviews with politicians, who played a key role in unleashing the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict between Armenia and Azerbaijan. The book reveals irresponsible and criminal policy of the Soviet leadership, which connived at the Armenian aggression against Azerbaijan.
- Prof. Pompeyev presented the history of the Karabakh conflict from the late eighties to the Russian public. Bloody pool of Karabakh book is the first of the trilogy, which also includes books titled Khojaly, bloody events and Painful days.
- The Justice for Khojaly campaign was launched by Leyla Aliyeva, Head of the Azerbaijan Youth Organization of Russia and OIC Youth Forum coordinator for cross-cultural dialogue. The main purpose of the international awareness campaign "Justice for Khojaly-Freedom for Karabakh" is to contribute to restoration of historic justice and recognition of Khojaly genocide by the world community. 
In July 2009 further support for the campaign was announced:
- During the opening ceremony of the ISESCO 10th General Conference, OIC Youth Forum and ISESCO signed an additional protocol to memorandum on cooperation. The protocol envisages the support for the Justice for Khojaly campaign started by OIC Youth Forum coordinator for cross-cultural dialogue Leyla Aliyeva.
- The document signed by ISESCO Director General Abdulaziz Othman Altwaijri and Secretary General of OIC Youth Forum Elshad Iskandarov is the first in the history of ISESCO to throw support behind humanitarian tragedy campaign.
- According to Elshad Iskandarov, the document provided for a plan of actions in the European and OIC member countries. The sides agreed to prepare a program on inclusion of information on Khojaly tragedy into the textbooks in OIC member countries. Under the document, ISESCO assumed obligation to have information on the tragedy included into the textbooks in its member countries in 2009-2010. 
Later in July 2009 allegations about Armenian government censorship were issued:
- The Armenia government has blocked access to the official site of the Justice for Khojaly campaign (www.justiceforkhojaly.org). One of Facebook users in Yerevan claims it is impossible to connect to this website.
- Justice for Khojaly campaign reports problems Armenian young people face in accessing website are an evidence of Armenia governments violating international obligations concerning human rights and freedom of information. It is rumored in Armenia that the site was blocked by Azerbaijan. However, the website was created by campaign activists in USA. It means it is impossible technically to block the site from Azerbaijan. Since February this year, 15,000 people have visited the site. Justice for Khojaly campaign urged rights groups and its supporters to protest to Armenia government and draw attention of international organizations. The International Awareness Campaign is initiated on May 8, 2008 by Mrs. Leyla Aliyeva, General Coordinator of Islamic Conference Youth Forum for Dialogue and Cooperation under the motto of Justice for Khojaly, Freedom for Garabagh The Campaign is aimed at raising international civil awareness through demonstration of photos and images of suffered people in the Upper (Nagorno) Garabagh conflict and Khojaly massacre. Thousands of Azerbaijani civilians were slain by the Armenian forces in the Khojaly district with the support of Russian troops on February 25-26, 1992. 613 people were brutally killed, including 106 women, 63 children and 70 elderly. 1,275 were taken captives, while 487 became handicapped and 150 went missing.
Islamic Conference Youth Forum for Dialogue and Cooperation, Co-ordinator | Justice for Khojaly, initiator of 'International Awareness Campaign' |
Publications, Contact, Resources and Notes
- Azerbaijani President's daughter Leyla Aliyeva turns 23, Today.Az, 07 July 2008 [10:38], accessed 17 August 2009
- AssA-Irada, December 2, 2008 Tuesday, CE SECRETARY GENERAL CONGRATULATES ALIYEV ON BIRTH OF GRANDKIDS
- State Telegraph Agency of the Republic of Azerbaijan May 25, 2009 Monday, KNOWN RUSSIAN BUSINESSMAN HANDED OVER HIGHER AWARD OF ITALY. DATELINE: Moscow 25 May
- State Telegraph Agency of the Republic of Azerbaijan, June 13, 2009 Saturday, ‘BLOODY POOL OF KARABAKH BOOK SENT TO THOUSANDS OF JUSTICE FOR KHOJALY CAMPAIGN SUPPORTERS’, SECTION: NATIONWIDE INTERNATIONAL NEWS, LENGTH: 224 words, DATELINE: Baku June 13, 2009
- State Telegraph Agency of the Republic of Azerbaijan, July 3, 2009 Friday, ISESCO AND OIC YOUTH FORUM CLINCH DEAL TO SUPPORT JUSTICE FOR KHOJALY CAMPAIGN, SECTION: NATIONWIDE INTERNATIONAL NEWS, DATELINE: Baku July 3
- AssA-Irada, July 22, 2009 Wednesday, ARMENIA BLOCKS ACCESS TO AZERI WEBSITE; Also reported in State Telegraph Agency of the Republic of Azerbaijan, July 22, 2009 Wednesday ‘ARMENIAN GOVERNMENT BLOCKS ACCESS TO WEBSITE OF JUSTICE FOR KHOJALY INTERNATIONAL CIVIL AWARENESS CAMPAIGN’ DATELINE: Baku July 22
- Justice for Khojaly About The Campaign, accessed 7 August 2009