Keep Marriage Special
Keep Marriage Special is an 'expressly Christian pro-marriage campaign', which 'originated with both the Protestant Truth Society and Church Society' in January 2012. To take it forward a 'limited company was formed in January', 2012: Keep Marriage Special Ltd. The founding trustees were Duncan Boyd (Chairman), Jeremy Brooks (Company Secretary) and James Crabtree. Viscount Brentford was appointed as Campaign President.
The aim of 'Keep Marriage Special' is 'to defend the biblical definition of marriage and oppose any possible redefinition by HM Government.' In other words the campaign is intended to oppose lesbian and gay equality.
According to the Protestant Truth Society:
- With the limited company already in existence, and a team being put in place, much work is being done opening a bank account, developing the branding, building a website, securing appropriate social networking accounts with the likes of Facebook and Twitter, and making sure that the campaign is fully operational by mid-April.
It can be noted that the Coalition for Marriage a competitor organisation, is a Christian initiative and contains both Catholic and Protestant organisations or organisations that are not specifically denominational. This can be contrasted with Keep Marriage Special created around the same time by the Church Society and the Protestant Truth Society which seems to have no Catholic involvement.
- President Viscount Brentford – President, Church Society |
- Vice-Presidents Jeffrey Donaldson MP – Democratic Unionist Party | Rt Rev Dr Michael Nazir-Ali – Former Bishop of Rochester | Baroness Paisley – Democratic Unionist Party | Rev Hugh Palmer – Rector, All Souls, Langham Place, London | Rt Rev Dr David Samuel – First Presiding Bishop, Church of England (Continuing) | Rev Dr Geoffrey Thomas – Pastor, Alfred Place Baptist Church, Aberystwyth | Rev Rod Thomas – Chairman, Reform | Rev Rico Tice – All Souls, Langham Place and Christianity Explored | Rev Dr Richard Turnbull – Principal, Wycliffe Hall, Oxford
- Trustees Duncan Boyd (Chairman) | Benedict Bird – Former Solicitor and Member, Spicer Street Church, St Albans | Rev Jeremy Brooks – Director of Ministry, Protestant Truth Society | James Crabtree – Chairman, Church Society | Rev Dick Farr – Chairman, Church Society Trust | Sarah Finch – Member, General Synod, Church of England | Michael Hobbis – National Co-ordinator, Christian Watch | Rev David Jackman – Former President, Proclamation Trust | Rev Peter Milsom – Director, Affinity | Mark Mullins – Barrister and former Army Officer
- Protestant Truth Society Prayer Letter for April 2012, Accessed 12 April 2012