In September 2009, Orde criticised Conservative proposals for elected Police Commissioners:
- "Do they think that the public are so interested in policing that they would turn out and vote? And for whom? A politician? Or do they mind if they get a lunatic or a retired copper? All of these questions need to be answered."
- Greg Harkin, Tabloid 'targeted former PSNI chief's computer', Irish Independent, 30 November 2011.
- Our Structure, Association of Chief Police Officers, accessed 7 September 2009.
- Henry Mcdonald, Phone hacking: Ian Paisley Jr alleges family were targeted, guardian.co.uk, 30 November 2011.
- Mark Hughes, Acpo boss: 'lunatics' will win with Tory police plan, Independent, 7 September 2009.