She is now a political consultant with Global Partners Governance, including 'training MP’s staff and public affairs professionals interacting with Westminster and the EU.'
Doyle was born in 1981 in the Vale of Leven Hospital. She grew up in Dumbarton where she attended St Patrick’s Primary and Our Lady and St Patrick’s High School.
Doyle attended the University of Glasgow, where she, graduated with an MA in European Civilisation. During University she worked behind the bar in the Dumbuck Hotel and as a cleaner in a Glasgow hotel.
Before being elected to Parliament, Doyle worked as a Political Officer for the Parliamentary Labour Party. Previously she worked as a Conference Producer for the Institution of Civil Engineers, a Conference Development Manager for a small business and as a caseworker and parliamentary assistant for a number of MSPs.
She joined the Labour party aged 15 and served on its Scottish Executive and National Policy Forum before being selected as Labour’s candidate in West Dunbartonshire in 2010.
Doyle is is a Shadow Defence Minister, with specific responsibility for defence personnel, welfare and veterans.
- About Gemma, gemmadoyle.org.uk, accessed 4 July 2013.
- BBC News Dunbartonshire West, accessed 14 May 2015.
- My Work in Parliament, gemmadoyle.org.uk, accessed 4 July 2013.
- Michael Crick, Battle of Falkirk gets murkier for Labour, Channel 4 News, 3 July 2013.
- In Scotland’s Defence? An Assessment of SNP Defence Strategy, Henry Jackson Society, 26 June 2013.