Douglas Carswell was a Conservative Party MP for Harwich from 2005 to 2010, and MP for Clacton from 2010.
In August 2014 Carswell defected to join UKIP (the United Kingdom Independence Party). He resigned his seat to force a by-election which he won in October 2014. Carswell was then re-elected in the May 2015 general election with 44 per cent of the vote - he is UKIP's only MP.
Carswell quit UKIP to become an independent MP from March 2017. He did not stand in the 2017 general election.
- Henry Jackson Society - political council
- ↑ Douglas Carswell, parliament.uk, accessed 14 October 2012
- ↑ Nicholas Watt, Tory MP Douglas Carswell defects to UKIP and forces by-election, The Guardian, 28 August 2014, accessed 11 September 2014.
- ↑ UKIP gains first elected MP with Clacton win, BBC News, 10 October 2014.
- ↑ BBC News Clacton, accessed 11 May 2015.