The Daily Mail
The Daily Mail is a tabloid newspaper owned by Associated Newspapers Ltd. It is the second most popular newspaper in the United Kingdom after The Sun. The current editor is Paul Dacre who has been in post since 1992.
Reliance on PR Material and News Agencies
According to research conducted by Professor Justin Lewis at Cardiff University up to 65% of news stories published by the mail are wholly derived from PR activity, News Agencies or replicated from other media sources. Lewis' research found that that "The Mail and the Daily Telegraph appear to replicate a significantly higher percentage of agency/PR material than the Guardian, which, according to these data, is the most independent of the newspapers. While just over half the stories in the Guardian come wholly or mainly from pre-packaged sources, this compares with around two-thirds of the stories on other newspapers. By the same measure, the Guardian is also more likely to use a mix of information or to get information from other sources". Lewis' study concludes, "What is clear from this study is that the quality and independence of the British news media has been significantly affected by its increasing reliance on public relations and news agency material; and for the worse!" .
An all mediascotland snapshot review of advertising in newspapers in Scotland found that one fifth of The Daily Mail was taken up by advertising space in January 2009 
Throughout its history The Daily Mail has faced allegations of racism and predjudice. Current editor Paul Dacre admits this but claims that the newspapers support for the murdered black teenager Stephen Lawrence represented an editorial shift away from racism. He said “The old Daily Mail, I’d be the first to admit, was slightly racist, But we are not now and Stephen Lawrence was the turning point on that” 
The Daily Mail has regularly been accused of having a vendetta against immigrants and asylum seekers. Giving evidence to joint committee on human rights at the houses of parliament Alan Travis, the home affairs editor of the Guardian, accused The Daily Mail of producing "manifestly false" stories about asylum seekers. He also accused newspapers of stirring up tensions with repeated front page stories about immigration. "In this situation, newspapers must fuel that particular prejudice and fuel that political extremism," he told the committee. Mr Travis presented evidence from a Mori poll that showed that Daily Express readers had an exaggerated belief in the number of immigrants in Britain. Daily Express readers believed that 21% of the population were immigrants, Daily Mail readers thought that 19% of the population were immigrants and Guardian readers thought that 11% of the population were immigrants. In reality 7% of the population were immigrants. 
Peter Allen | Charlie Bain | Alex Brummer | Rebecca Camber | Nick Craven | Rebecca English | Charlotte Gill | Sam Greenhill | Christian Gysin | Beth Hale | Roy Hattersley | Liz Jones | Richard Kay | Des Kelly| Tom Kelly | Olinka Koster | Ann Leslie | Richard Littlejohn | Edward Lucas
James Mills | Bill Mouland | Dan Newling | Amanda Platell | Graham Poll | Melanie Phillips | Gordon Rayner | Gwyneth Rees | Tom Utley | Michael Seamark | Neil Sears | Paul Sheehan | Chris Tookey | Keith Waterhouse | David Williams | Michael Winner | Stephen Wright | Tahira Yaqoob
ABC and Readership Figures
The Daily Mail has an average daily net circulation of 2,139,178 according to the latest figures from ABC, these figures cover the period from the end of November 2008 to the end of December 2008. 
According to The National Readership Survey 65% of Daily Mail readers belong to socio-economic group ABC1, with the other 35% belonging to socio-economic group C2DE. 52% of Mail readers are over 44 and 48% are aged between 15-44. The male-female divide amongst Mail readers is 47% male and 53% female. This data was captured over one year from October 2007 to September 2008. 
- ↑ Justin Lewis, A Compromised Fourth Estate? UK news journalism, public relations and news sources, Journalism Studies, Volume 9, Issue 1 February 2008
- ↑ allmediaScotland.com Fifth of Daily Mail taken up by ads, Accessed 23-January-2009.
- ↑ Bill Hagerty, Paul Dacre: the zeal thing, British Journalism Review, Vol. 13, No. 3, 2002, pages 11-22. Accessed 22-January-2009.
- ↑ Stephen Brook, Mail and Express deny asylum bias, The Guardian, 23-January-2007, Accessed 23-January-2009.
- ↑ Audit Bureau of Circulation, ABC Figures for The Daily Mail Nov-Dec 2008 Accessed 19-January-2009
- ↑ National Readership Survey Figures, NRS Figures October 2008-September 2009, Accessed 19-January-2009