Branka Magaš is a historian, journalist and commentator on the former Yugoslavia. She has contributed to The New Statesman, The London Review of Books, International Affairs, The Tablet, Balkan Monitor, Against the Current, New Politics and numerous other periodicals; also to many academic collections. She is the author of The Destruction of Yugoslavia: Tracking the Break-Up, 1980-1992 (Verso 1993), edited Question of Survival: a common education system for Bosnia-Herzegovina (The Bosnian Institute 1998), and co-edited, with Ivo Zanic, The War in Croatia and Bosnia-Herzegovina 1991-1995 (Frank Cass 2001).
- Alliance to Defend Bosnia-Herzegovina
- Democratiya - Advisory Editor
- Bosnian Institute - consultant
- Bosnia Report - editor (1993-96)
- Croatian Peace Forum - co-founder
- Labour Focus on Eastern Europe - editor(1977 to 1991)
- New Left Review - editorial board (1966 to 1993)