The Appointments Commission is the independent organisation which works on behalf of the UK Secretary of State for Health for appointing chairs and non-executive directors to certain NHS organisations and members to the Department of Health.
It appoints chairs and non-executive directors to these NHS organisations:
- Strategic Health Authorities
- Primary Care Trusts
- Ambulance Trusts
- Mental Health Trusts
- Hospital Trusts
- Department of Health Arms Length Bodies
The commission also recruits members to Department of Health Advisory Bodies and provide non-executive recruitment services for Foundation Trusts and to the boards of public bodies across central Government. The Appointments Commission: 'ensure[s] that the public appointment process is open, fair and impartial and that appointments are based solely on merit.'
The Commission was established in 2001. It is governed by a board of directors which is directly accountable to the Department of Health.
- Chair Anne Watts CBE
- Non-Executive David Cain
- Non-Executive Betty Thayer
- Non-Executive Jill Robertson
- Non-Executive Margaret Scott
- Chief Executive Andrea Sutcliffe
- Deputy Chief Executive / Director of Appointments Janice Scanlan
- Director of Training & Events Chris Dye
- Head of Finance Lynn Shadford
- Appointments Commission
- Blenheim House
- Duncombe Street
- LS1 4PL
- 0113 394 2950
- Appointments Commission. About Us. Accessed 2 October 2009.