Sir Anwar Pervez is a businessman of Pakistani origin, who is the founder of Bestway Holdings Ltd.
In 1956 Pervez moved from Pakistan to Bradford, and and in 1963 he opened up a small corner shop. This corner shop eventually expanded into Bestway, the UK's second biggest wholesale cash and carry chain.
In 2004, despite having a turnover of £1.1billion, Pervez bought rivals Batleys for £100million, turning his company into the second biggest wholesaler. As of 2014, it has a turnover of £2.4billion.
HSBC 2015 tax avoidance scandal
Due to his Pervez's Pakistani origins he is able to claim non-domicile status and legitimately hold his money outside the UK and thereby avoid UK tax laws. Pervez has donated to the Conservative Party both personally and through his company. Both himself and the other eight directors on Bestway's member-board are linked with Swiss accounts.
- Chairman, United Bank Ltd (UBL)
- Council Member, Federation of Wholesale Distributors
- Chairman, Board of Trustees of Bestway Foundation UK
- Patron-in-Chief, Bestway Foundation Pakistan
- Trustee, Memorial Gates Trust
- Charter Member, Duke of Edinburgh's Award
Recorded by the Electoral Commission:
|Date||Name of donor||Amount||Donated to||Subsidiary (parties only)|
|28/05/2001||Mohammed A Pervez||£5,500.00||Conservative Party||Central party|
|30/06/2002||Mohammed A Pervez||£5,500.00||Conservative Party||Central party|
|01/05/2003||Mohammed A Pervez||£1,250.00||Conservative Party||Beaconsfield|
|21/07/2004||Mohammed A Pervez||£1,250.00||Conservative Party||Beaconsfield|
|23/11/2004||Mohammed A Pervez||£2,000.00||Conservative Party||Banbury|
|13/04/2005||Mohammed A Pervez||£2,000.00||Conservative Party||Beaconsfield|
|25/05/2007||Mohammed A Pervez||£6,000.00||Conservative Party||Beaconsfield|
|04/02/2010||Mohammed A Pervez||£10,000.00||Conservative Party||Gillingham and Rainham|
- Dominic Midgley Anwar Pervez: The Billionaire cash and carry King, Express, 21 July 2014, accessed 16 February 2015
- David Leigh, James Ball, Juliette Garside and David Pegg HSBC files show Tories raised over £5m from HSBC Swiss account holders, The Guardian, 11 February 2015, accessed 16 February 2015
- Bestway Group, Board of directors, accessed 16 February 2015
- Electoral Commission, Donation Search, accessed 16 February 2015