Americans for Democratic Action
As a result of Arthur Schlesinger's influence, ADA took part in the CIA-financed International Study Group for Freedom and Democracy in the 1960s.
Shifting alliances within the Democratic Party meant that by the late 1960s, ADA was no longer a stronghold of Cold War liberals, some of whom formed the Coalition for a Democratic Majority as a rival.
- 1947-1948 Wilson Wyatt
- 1948-1949 Leon Henderson
- 1949-1950 Senator Hubert Humphrey
- 1950-1953 Francis Biddle
- 1954-1955 Arthur Schlesinger, Jr. & James E. Doyle (co-chairs)
- 1955-1957 Joseph L. Rauh, Jr.
- 1957-1959 Robert R. Nathan
- 1959-1962 Samuel H. Beer
- 1962-1965 John P. Roche
- 1965-1967 Rep. Don Edwards
- 1967-1969 John Kenneth Galbraith
- 1970-1971 Joseph Duffy
- 1971-1973 Rep. Allard K. Lowenstein
- 1974-1976 Rep. Donald M. Fraser
- 1976-1978 Senator George McGovern
- 1978-1981 Rep. Patsy T. Mink
- 1981-1984 Rep. Robert F. Drinan, S.J.
- 1984-1986 Rep. Barney Frank
- 1986-1989 Rep. Ted Weiss
- 1989-1991 Rep. Charles B. Rangel
- 1991-1993 Senator Paul D. Wellstone
- 1993-1995 Rep. John Lewis
- 1995-1998 Jack Sheinkman
- 1998-2000 Rep. Jim Jontz
- 2000-2008 Rep. Jim McDermott
- 2008-2010 Richard Parker
- 2010- Rep. Lynn Woolsey
Charles G. Bolte | Harvey M. Brown | David Dubinsky | George Edwards | Ethel S. Epstein | Hugo Ernst | John Green | Hubert H. Humphrey | Mrs Clyde Johnson | James S. Killen | Frank W. McCulloch | B.F. McLaurin | Reinhold Neibuhr | Mrs Gifford Pinchot | Edward F. Pritchard, Jr. | Walter P. Reuther | Franklin D. Roosevelt, Jr. | Rt Reverend William Scarlett | Walter White | Samuel Wolchak | Willard S. Townsend | Wilson Wyatt
Other Committee Members
Joseph Alsop | Stewart Alsop | Jack Altman | Eugenie Anderson | George Baldanzi | Robert Bendiner | Andrew Biemiller | Barry Bingham | Chester Bowles | James B. Carey | Marquis Childs | Nelson Cruikshank | Elmer Davis | Max Davis | Morris Ernst | Michael Feder | Louis Fischer | David Ginsburg | Lester Granger Allan Haywood | Hon. Chet Holifield | E.M. Kirkpatrick | James S. Killen | Irvin R. Kuenzli | Leo Lerner | Dr Eduard Lindeman | Don Montgomery | Edgar Ansel Mowrer | Arthur Naftalin | Bishop G. Bromley Oxnam | Paul A. Porter | Joseph Rauh, Jr Emil Rieve | Mrs Franklin D. Roosevelt | Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr | Boris Shiskin | H. Jerry Voorhis | James Wechsler | Aubry Williams
- Sara Diamond, Roads To Dominion: Right-wing Movements and Political Power in the United States, Guildford Press, 1995, p.182.
- R. Harris Smith, OSS: The Secret History of America's First Intelligence Agency, University of California Press, 1972, p.377.
- Sara Diamond, Roads To Dominion: Right-wing Movements and Political Power in the United States, Guildford Press, 1995, p.192.
- History, Americans for Democratic Action, accessed 22 April 2013.
- Statement of Basic Principles, Americans for Democratic Action, 4 January 1947, archived at neoconservatism.vaisse.net.