Alger Hiss (1904-1996) was a US State Department official. In 1948, he was accused of being a Soviet spy by Whittaker Chambers. He was subsequently convicted of perjury in one of the defining cases of the Cold War.
- The Alger Hiss Story
- Hiss, Alger (1904 – 1996), DocumentsTalk.com
- Alger Hiss Innocent, Anticommunists Declare, Slate, 22 March 2001.
- Kai Bird and Svetlana Chervonnaya, The Mystery of Ales, The American Scholar, Summer 2007.
- John Ehrman, The Mystery of "ALES", Studies in Intelligence, Volume 51, Number 4, CIA.
- Who Was Alger Hiss?, The Alger Hiss Story, accessed 20 August 2012.