The firm was founded in 1989 as Andersen Consulting, by partners from a number of Arthur Andersen firms around the world. The company changed its name to Accenture on 1 January 2001, as the result of an arbitrator’s decision in August 2000 that severed the contractual ties between Accenture and Andersen Worldwide Société Coopérative (AWSC). Accenture became a public company when it listed on the New York Stock Exchange on 19 July 2001.
Involvement in education reform
In June 2011, former chairman and CEO of Accenture, Bill Green, talked about the need for private sector companies to get involved in education reform:
- 'It won’t happen without the private sector. Over the past two years, business was so busy playing defense that it lost the plot on playing offense. The companies with the best people win. So we have to engage and influence the education reform agenda; we have to put skin in the game.'
- Accenture Development Partnership
Accenture Development Partnerships provides management and technology consultants for international development organisations and corporate clients.
ADP announced in 2013 that it would commit to providing business and mentoring consulting to help support mEducation projects, under USAID's mEducation Alliance Mobiles for Education Alliance initiative. ADP said that the Alliance aligns with ADP’s corporate social responsibility efforts including Skills to Succeed, an overseas skills development program.
- Accenture is also a partner / supporter of education reform organisation NESTA.
- William D. Green Chairman and CEO
- Sir Mark Moody-Stuart Lead Director | Dina Dublon | Charles Giancarlo | Nobuyuki Idei | William L. Kimsey | Robert I. Lipp | Marjorie Magner | Blythe J. McGarvie | Wulf von Schimmelmann
- Cherie Blair Foundation for Women. Accenture donated £1 million to be spread over two years in 2014 to run a programme in Rwanda for 15,000 women to receive business training.
- About Accenture, Accenture, accessed 25 July 2010.
- Accenture: The Growth of a Global Leader, Accenture, accessed 25 July 2010.
- Being a Part of Something Special, Leaders magazine, June 2011
- Summary report, mEducation Alliance, 2013
- Board of Directors, Accenture, 25 July 2010.
- Robert Mendick Cherie Blair’s empire and its secret HQ Telegraph, 30 March 2014, accessed 30 March 2015
- Cherie Blair Foundation Donors and partners, accessed 30 March 2015
- Register 1st September 2014 - 30th November 2014 APPC, accessed 28 January 2015
- Burson Marsteller Register Dec15-Feb16, APPC, accessed 14 April 2016