The AARP formerly the American Association of Retired Persons is a 'nonprofit, nonpartisan membership organization for people age 50 and over in the United States'. AARP described its 'missions as being 'dedicated to enhancing quality of life for all as we age. We lead positive social change and deliver value to members through information, advocacy and service'.
The services they provide include...
- Informing members and the public on issues important to this age group
- Advocating on legislative, consumer and legal issues
- Promoting community service
- Offering a wide range of special products and services to members
Partnerships to resist healthcare reform
In March 2008, The Centre for Media and Democracy reports that due to calls for healthcare reform in the U.S. (which is likely to lead to the questioning of 'ballooning' prices of pharmaceuticals), the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America has entered into partnership with the AARP, the Labour Unions, the American Lung Association and the Partnership for a Drug Free America
- The Centre for Media and Democracy Weekly Radio Spin, March 21, 2008 Accessed 28th March 200