39 Essex Street
Thirty Nine Essex Street is a long established Chambers based in London. Its members include 37 Queen's Counsel and 81 junior Barristers.
- The chambers offers expertise in commercial, common, construction, costs, environmental and planning, public and regulatory and disciplinary law. Members of chambers regularly appear before the UK Supreme Court, Privy Council, Court of Appeal, the European Court of Human Rights and the European Court of Justice, specialist courts, tribunals and planning and other public inquiries, as well as of domestic and international arbitration. It is one of the largest Barristers' chambers in the country.
Advised EDF Energy on Hinkley nuclear deal
In March 2013 Justine Thornton and colleague Stephen Tromans QC were part of the team advising EdF Energy as it sought to win planning consent for a new Hinkley Point nuclear reactor. According to a statement on 39 Essex Street's website:
- The Secretary of State on 19 March announced approval of the application by EFD [sic] Energy for construction of the first new nuclear power station in the UK for over 25 years. The application was made under the Planning Act 2008 and is for a 3,260 MW station comprising two European Pressurised reactors. The order also covers associated development and compulsory acquisition.
The statement also said that Thornton's colleague Christiaan Zwart acted for the Environment Agency as a statutory consultee, and that Stephen Tromans QC and Zack Simons had acted for the Nuclear Industry Association in 2011 in successfully resisting a legal challenge to the decision to justify the building of the EPR type reactor. 
- EDF Energy - 
- Environment Agency - Christiaan Zwart acted for the Agency on 3 applications for Nuclear Power Station enabling foreshore development. 
- Nuclear Industry Association - see R(oao Rory Walker) v The Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change (Defendant) and The Nuclear Industry Association (Interested Party) CO/1875/2011
Contact, Resources and Notes
- [http://www.chambersandpartners.com/UK-Bar/Firms/10392-45483 Firms - Chambers Partners - Thirty Nine Essex Street
- [http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/Barrister/FirmFeature/10392 Firm Profile - Chambers Student (Career Guide)
- News, Thirty Nine Essex Street website statement, 19 March 2013, acc 23 October 2013
- Hinkley Point C (Nuclear Generating Station) Order application (2012) and Hinkley Point C (Harbour Empowerment Order) (2012), Case Listing, Richard Wald, acc 23 October 2013
- See Hinkley Point (Temporary Jetty)(Land Acquisition [TWA]) Order (2011)