Aurora Energy Resources
Aurora Energy Resources is a private UK oil and gas company based in Aberdeen Scotland. First set up in 2008, it was initially known as Pacific Shelf Limited according to Companies House records.
In recent years Aurora has risen up the ranks of the key players pushing for shale gas exploration in the UK.
Following the 14th UK Onshore Licensing Round, it now has four Petroleum Exploration and Development Licences (PEDLs) covering 445 km2 (110,000 acres) in the heart of the Bowland Shale. The area is expected to be Europe's first commercially viable shale gas field and includes other operators such as Cuadrilla Resources.
- 1 Fracking plans in West Lancashire for 2018
- 2 People
- 3 Related firms
- 4 Constituencies that include licences awarded to Aurora in the OGA's 14th round
- 5 Companies House details
- 6 Affiliations
- 7 Relevant anti-fracking groups
- 8 Notes
Fracking plans in West Lancashire for 2018
Aurora's licences include PEDL 164 covering 100km2 of West Lancashire and Merseyside. In January 2018 the firm wrote a letter to local residents in Formby, West Lancashire to inform them of its plans to drill and frack two wells to the north of Great Altcar village, on the edge of Formby. Managing director Ian Roche said Aurora had begun the first stages of applying for planning permission for the site on Altcar Moss, submitting details to Lancashire County Council of its proposals to drill and frack a vertical and separate horizontal well there. The letter said that the site between Higher Moss and Middle Moss Lanes was approximately 850 metres from the nearest properties.
Attendee at May 2018 roundtable with shale gas companies and suppliers
Energy minister Claire Perry hosted a May 2018 roundtable with the fracking industry just hours before she gave evidence to a committee of MPs on the Conservative government's proposed changes to relax the rules on shale gas development in the UK.
A 'reconstructed' attendee list was released under the freedom of information act to North Yorkshire resident Jonathan Bales following an internal review of the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy's initial almost completely redacted FOI response. 
Oil and gas companies at the roundtable included:
- Service companies: Ground Gas Solutions, Marriott Drilling, Onshore Energy Service Group, Zetland Group.
- Investors and fund managers: Riverstone (a major partner in Cuadrilla), Kerogen (investor in IGas), Global Natural Resource Investments (formerly part of Barclays which invested in Third Energy), KKR, JP Morgan.
- Ian Roche - Managing director Aurora Petroleum/Aurora Energy. Panellist at May 2014 Shale Gas World conference discussion: 'What are the planning and environmental permitting considerations for operators?'. Ian is a council member of UKOOG, the trade body representing the onshore oil and gas industry.
- NICOLA PATRICIA HAMILTON, secretary, 17 Dec 2009-
- TRISTAN PAUL CUTLER, director, 31 May 2010-
- LAURENCE WILLIAM KINCH, director, 17 Dec 2009-
- KENNETH GEORGE MCHATTIE, director, 17 Dec 2009-
- IAN PATRICK ROCHE, director, 17 Dec 2009-
- MARGARET ELAINE FERGUS STODDART, director, 17 Dec 2009-
Former executives and directors
- Malcolm Gladwell - former Aurora MD, was consulted as part of the Royal Society and Royal Academy of Engineering's June 2012 report 'Shale gas extraction in the UK: a review of hydraulic fracturing'
- Aurora Petroleum - crossover of many of same directors
Constituencies that include licences awarded to Aurora in the OGA's 14th round
Aurora owns five shale licenses based in Lancashire.
- Blackburn - Kate Hollern MP
- Chorley - Lindsay Hoyle MP
- Knowsley - George Howarth MP
- Makerfield - Yvonne Fovargue MP
- Ribble Valley - Nigel Evans MP
- Rossendale and Darwen - Jake Berry MP, junior minister at the Department for Communities and Local Government June 2017
- Sefton Central - Bill Esterson MP
- Southport - John Pugh MP
- St Helens North - Connor McGinn MP
- West Lancashire - Rosie Cooper MP
- Wigan - Lisa Nandy MP
Companies House details
- Company no. SC335749
- Registered office address
- The Office, Westfield Estate, Milltimber, Aberdeenshire, AB13 0EX
- Company status: Active
- Company type: Private limited Company
- Incorporated on 3 January 2008
- AURORA EXPLORATION (UK) LIMITED 04 Aug 2010 - 20 Dec 2013
- EDP ONSHORE LIMITED 05 Feb 2008 - 04 Aug 2010
- PACIFIC SHELF 1485 LIMITED 03 Jan 2008 - 05 Feb 2008
Relevant anti-fracking groups
- Ruth Hayhurst, Aurora announces fracking plans in west Lancashire, Drill or Drop, 5 January 2018, accessed 7 January 2018
- What do they Know?, Shale Gas Round Table: internal review of Freedom of Information request to Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, 24 July 2018
- Ruth Hayhurst, What government told the shale gas industry about success, regulation, jobs and support, Drill or Drop, 22 October 2018, accessed same day.