Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
The Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) was created on 14 July 2016 by the merger of the Department for Business Innovation & Skills (BIS) and Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC). 
The department brings together the responsibilities from BIS and DECC, including 'business, industrial strategy, science, innovation, energy, and climate change'. 
The creation of BEIS was one of the first acts of Theresa May's premiership following the abolition of DECC. The move caused controversy amongst green campaigners and opposition MPs who condemned it as a 'major setback for UK's climate change efforts'.  Policy Exchange conversely argued that BEIS would elevate climate change issues to 'a much higher level politically'. 
Shale Gas Team
The Shale Gas team sits within BEIS' Energy Development Unit (EDU). EDU is responsible for encouraging and overseeing energy development in the UK.
- Guidance on fracking: developing shale gas in the UK (last updated 13 January 2017)
People in BEIS
- Greg Clark secretary of state for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.
- Claire Perry, Minister of State for Energy and Clean Growth
- Sam Gyimah, Minister of State for Universities, Science, Research and Innovation
- Andrew Griffiths, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State, Minister for Small Business, Consumers and Corporate Responsibility
- Richard Harrington, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State, Minister for Business and Industry
- Oliver Eden, aka Lord Henley, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State
Former BEIS ministers
- Margot James parliamentary under secretary of state, minister for Small Business, Consumers and Corporate Responsibility to Jan 2018.
- Baroness Neville-Rolfe (minister of state for Energy and Intellectual Property).
- Jesse Norman (parliamentary under secretary of state, minister for Industry and Energy).
- Nick Hurd (minister of state for Climate Change and Industry).
- Jo Johnson (minister of state for Universities, Science, Research and Innovation).
- Alex Chisholm (permanent secretary).
- General enquiries 1 Victoria Street, London, SW1H 0ET | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Telephone: 020 7215 5000
- Whitehall office 3 Whitehall Place, London, SW1A 2AW
- Aberdeen office AB1 Building, Crimon Place, Aberdeen, AB10 1BJ
- Sheffield office 2 St Paul's Place, 125 Norfolk Street, Sheffield, S1 2FJ
- Ian Johnston, Climate change department closed by Theresa May in 'plain stupid' and 'deeply worrying' move, The Independent, 14 July 2016, accessed 14 September 2016
- Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy, GOV.uk, accessed 25 October 2016.
- Adam Vaughan, Abolition of Decc 'major setback for UK's climate change efforts', The Guardian, 15 July 2016, accessed 25 October 2016.
- Richard Howard, Green groups should embrace, not bemoan, the merger of DECC and BIS, Policy Exchange, 15 July 2016, accessed 25 October 2016.