The Institution of Civil Engineers
The Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) is a professional association founded in 1818 based in central London representing civil engineers. The majority of its members are British engineers, but it also has members in other countries around the world. In 2003, its total membership stood at around 80,000.
Conflicts and criticims
The Institution is a long-term supporter of nuclear power. In November 2005, just weeks before the energy review was announced, Gordon Masterton, the then president of the Institution of Civil Engineers, said "It's time the Government bit the bullet and encouraged a wider national debate so that the public have the facts about our energy options. With the general election behind them, the Government needs to tackle an issue they seem in fear of confronting, and give the go-ahead for a new generation of nuclear stations before the threat of blackouts becomes more frequent."
A January 6, 2006 Letter to the Editor of The Times signed amongst others by Tom Foulkes, the Director-General of the ICE, urged the Government "not to delay decisions that might prevent nuclear power remaining an integral part of the UK's future energy mix since we do not believe there are any technical or safety reasons why it should not do so... Besides reducing CO2 emissions, a new generation of nuclear power stations could enhance security of energy supply."
Home of Nuclear Lobby Groups
The British Nuclear Energy Society (BNES) gives its address at "The Institution of Civil Engineers, One Great George Street, London SW1P 3AA, United Kingdom", whereas, in 2007, Supporters of Nuclear Energy (SONE) gave its address C/O BNES at 7 Great George Street.
To serve until November 2013:
- Barry Clarke, President
- Nick Baveystock, Director General
- Chris Gibson, Managing Director
- Geoffrey Howard French, Senior Vice President, chair of the Executive Board
- David Balmforth, Vice President Learned Society and member of Executive Board
- Sir John Armitt, Vice President UK Regions and member of Executive Board
- Bill Hewlett, Vice President Membership and member of Executive Board
- Andrew McNaughton, Vice President Finance and member of Executive Board
- Tim Broyd, Vice President Public Voice and member of Executive Board
- Alan Stilwell, Vice President International and Member of Executive Board
- Richard Coackley, Former President (2011-2012)
- Peter Hansford, Former President (2010-2011)
- Paul Jowitt, Former President (2009-2010)
- Jean Venables, Former President (2008-2009)
- David Orr, Former President (2007-2008)
- Quentin John Leiper, Former President (2006-2007)
- Gordon Masterton, Former President (2005-2006)
- Tom Foulkes, Former Director General
- One Great George Street
- Westminster, London
- SW1P 3AA
- Tel.: 020 7222 7722
- Website: http://www.ice.org.uk/
- Alan Jones, "Engineering Chief Calls For N-Power Debate", Press Association, 01 Nov 2005.
- Letter to the Editor, "Energy Crisis Solved on Home Turf," The Times, 06 Jan 2006.
- BNES, BNES Membership Application Form, Web Archive of 17 Aug 2007, accessed 30 Oct 2013.
- BNES, British Nuclear Energy Society, Gold Group website, accessed 30 Oct 2013.
- Supporters of Nuclear Energy Contact us, Web Archive of 29 Oct 2007, accessed 30 Oct 2013.
- SMC, Funding, accessed 29 September 2013. See also Science Media Centre - Funding