Not to be confused with the Illinois based Posen Family Foundation
The Posen Foundation is a Lucerne, Switzerland based organisation with offices in the US and Israel. It is run by Felix Posen and his son Daniel Posen. It says its mission is to work 'internationally to advance Jewish education and promote Jewish culture in the public sphere.'
Felix Posen, an American born British citizen, and longtime advisor to Marc Rich, reportedly started the Foundation to support Jewish secular cultural projects. He 'believes that academic departments give secular Jewish history and culture... short shrift.'
In 2009, the Posen Foundation suspended select funds distributions due to the effect that the Madoff investment scandal had on Felix Posen's finances. Selected activities to be started or completed in 2009 were postponed until 2010.
In 2009 the Foundation stated on its website:
- Through its signature grant program, the Posen Project, more than three-dozen institutions of higher education have developed courses in the academic study of Jewish secularism and Judaism as Culture. The Foundation is also deeply committed to the understanding of historic and modern antisemitism, and has been the primary financial supporter of the Center for the Study of Antisemitism at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem since its inception in 1982.
In 2002 and 2003 the Foundation donated money to the Science Media Centre.
Academic committee (Israel)
- Address:80 Eighth Avenue, Suite 206 - New York , NY 10011
- Tel: 212-564-6711
- Address: Weggisgasse 26 CH-6004 Lucerne, Switzerland
- Tel: +41 41 417 0330
- Fax: +41 41 417 0335
- Posen Foundation Mission, accessed 22 August 2013
- Marissa Brostoff Jewish-Studies Money With Strings Attached Tablet November 18, 2009 3:00 PM, accessed 22 August 2013
- Lior Dattel Posen Foundation hit by Madoff fraud Haaretz Jan. 8, 2009 | 2:00 AM, accessed 22 August 2013
- Posen Foundation Organizations, retrieved from the Internet Archive of 23 June 2009 on 22 August 2013
- Posen Foundation About us, accessed 3 September 2013
- Posen Foundation About us, accessed 22 August 2013
- Posen foundation contact us, retrieved from the Internet Archive of 26 February 2009 on 22 August 2013