United People of Luton
United People of Luton organised an anti-Islamist demonstration in Luton in May 2009. Official permission had been granted to March for England(MFE) to hold a protest, but MFE pulled out and the eventual demonstration was unauthorised.
Some 500 people took part in the demonstration on 24 May. Trouble broke out in which an Asian-owned business had its windows smashed and nine people were arrested.
A spokesman for the United People of Luton, Wayne King, said after the match:
- 'We decided enough was enough after the soldiers got heckled as they marched through the town centre by the Muslim extremists. We want laws brought in to stop preachers of hate operating here.'
In July, the Sunday Mercury reported that United People of Luton had changed its name to Casuals United:
- The Casuals were previously called the United People of Luton, but are said to have switched name to bring in new members from Britain's football hooligan "firms".
- The group, linked to the right wing English, Scottish and Welsh Defence Leagues, are organising themselves on the web, including social networking sites.
United People of Luton was one of a number of groups subject to a three-month ban on marches in the town by the Home Secretary in August 2009:
- The order states: ``This order prohibits any procession or march involving members or supporters of, but not limited to, the English Defence League, UK Casuals United, March for England and United People of Luton or any associated group or any march which has not been applied for in accordance with Section 11 of the Public Order Act 1986, shall take place anywhere within the Borough of Luton.
- Website http://saveluton.com/
- Sally-Anne Johnson, Far right warned off joining protest march, Luton Today 22 May 2009.
- Trouble flares as Luton residents protest over Muslim extremists, The Times, 25 May 2009.
- Claire Ellicott, MASKED MOB ON THE MARCH AGAINST MUSLIM EXTREMISTS, Daily Mail, 25 May 2009.
- Adam Aspinall, CALL FOR RALLY TO BE BANNED; FEARS OF SOCCER YOBS IN BRUM DEMO: EXCLUSIVE, Sunday Mercury, 19 July 2009.
- Ellen Branagh, UNOFFICIAL MARCHES BANNED AMID RIGHT-WING PROTEST FEARS, Press Association, 21 August 2009.