Singh was previously head of think tank Policy Exchange's environment and energy unit from 2007 until 2008, head of environment at the Conservative Research Department from 2005-07, and also worked for lobbyists Portland PR and Hill & Knowlton.
Crucial No 10 role According to the Independent newspaper, Singh's role was,
- a crucial role as the government works furiously to complete the Energy Bill, a hugely important and ambitious piece of legislation that will dictate the shape of the country's power infrastructure and will determine whether Britain's lights stay on.
- Ms Singh is also likely to be heavily involved in the run-up to the crucial Paris climate change summit in 2015, where nearly 200 countries will attempt to reach a hugely challenging agreement to significantly cut their carbon emissions. Energy Minister Ed Davey has said he wants Britain to play a key role in agreeing a global settlement.
As a special adviser Singh is paid an annual salary of £67,000. 
Think tanker and Tory adviser
In 2007-08 Singh set up Policy Exchange’s Energy and Environment Unit, reporting to then-director Anthony Browne.
She was previously head of environment in the Conservative Research Department from 2005 to late 2007. She worked first under Oliver Letwin and then Peter Ainsworth, as well as advising other senior Tories. She was also the Party’s liaison with its ‘Quality of Life Group’, working with Zac Goldsmith and John Gummer.
- Hill & Knowlton - worked at the public relations firm for short stint in January 2013, Hill's clients include the RenewableUK trade association and Statoil, the Norwegian oil company raided by the European Commission 'on suspicion that it sought to inflate oil and petrol prices'.
- Policy Exchange - set up its Environment and Energy Unit
- Centrica - public affairs manager 2009-12
See: Fracking Spads
- Melissa Jones and Andy Rowell, Access all areas: Westminster's (vast) fracking lobby exposed, 29 April 2015.
- Tom Bawden, No 10’s new energy adviser is a former British Gas lobbyist, The Independent, Thursday 23 May 2013
- Tom Bawden, No 10’s new energy adviser is a former British Gas lobbyist, The Independent, 23 May 2013
- Tara Singh, LinkedIn profile, accessed 3 November 2015
- Tara Singh], LinkedIn, accessed 7 August 2016
- Ex-Centrica Lobbyist Becomes Number Ten SpAd, Guido Fawkes blog, order-order.com, 24 May 2013, acc 23 August 2013
- Special advisers in post, 30 November 2014 GOV.UK, accessed 28 April 2015