| LM network resources
Ellen Raphael describes herself as an 'Independent Public Relations and Communications Professional'. She is associated with the libertarian anti-environmental LM network. She was until 2010 the Assistant Director of the controversial pro-GM lobby group Sense About Science. The Director is Tracey Brown.
Raphael studied Sociology at the University of Kent at Canterbury starting in the late 1990s. In 1998 she was quoted as part of the Open Campus group in a report in the Times Higher Education Supplement, written by Jennie Bristow (another associate of the LM network):
- At the University of Kent at Canterbury, students have launched a campaign to prevent increased security measures on campus. For one student, Ellen Raphael of the Open Campus group, it has all gone too far. The heightened emphasis on personal safety has students jumping at their own shadows, the 20-year-old sociology student believes.
Raphael went on to reportedly gain a Masters degree from the University of Kent, Canterbury (UKC). In 1999 while there she wrote an article for the magazine LM (formerly Living Marxism) to which Brown, who also studied at UKC where she was a research associate of the sociologist Frank Furedi, has also contributed. All three are part of what might be termed the LM network.
Prior to Regester Larkin, Raphael worked for the British Pregnancy Advisory Service whose Chief Executive is Ann Furedi, the wife of Frank Furedi. While there she reportedly 'coordinated social trends, government and health research and information.'
Regester Larkin April 2001 - 2003
Both Brown and Raphael, prior to working for Sense About Science, worked for the PR company Regester Larkin, which numbers several biotech corporations amongst its clients. One of Raphael's colleagues was former Monsanto man, Harry Swan. Raphael joined in April 2001 and her 'main clients' included 'SST, Transco, Nimir Petroleum, EDF Trading and ICI Argentina for whom she provides general consultancy services.' Raphael was still listed on the Regester Larkin website as one of four staff by 13 April 2003, but was not longer listed by 14 July of that year.
Sense About Science
The phone number for Sense About Science was shared by the 'publishing house' Global Futures another project of the LM network. According to the Charity Commission, the administrative contact for Global Futures in 2002 was Ellen Raphael who, at the time Sense about Science was established, also worked for Regester Larkin
- Charity Correspondent ELLEN RAPHAEL
- P O BOX 138
- ME13 8LW
- Email Address email@example.com
- Website Address www.futureproof.org
Global Futures' trustees, Phil Mullan, Michael Fitzpatrick, Joan Hoey, Gavin Poynter and Helen Searls were all regular contributors to LM and are, like Frank Furedi, core members of the LM network. Global Futures was, for a time, run from a PO Box in Faversham, Kent, where Furedi lives. Fitzpatrick is also on the Board of Trustees of Sense About Science. Mullan is the registrant of the Spiked-online website. Spiked was at that stage edited by Mick Hume the former editor of LM.
Raphael was among those who helped Tony Gilland organise the Institute of Ideas ' Genes and Society Festival. The IoI is another project of the LM network. She also assisted Bill Durodie in organising a conference on communicating about terrorism at the Royal Institution. As with the Genes and Society Festival, the series of speakers, like Frank Furedi, and session chairs, like Fiona Fox, who had long-term LM connections, were not identified as such to fellow participants.
University of Kent, BA Hons Sociology, MA Sociology and Social Research, 2.1 - 1996 – 2000 
- Ellen Raphael, 'Peer review and ‘media science’, Spiked, 23 March 2006.
- LinkedIn Ellen Raphael, accessed2 May 2011
- JENNIE BRISTOW Making security a cause for concern; Home view; Opinion The Times Higher Education Supplement, June 5, 1998 Issue 1335, Pg.15
- Regester Larkin Ellen Raphael, Retrieved from the Internet Archive of 27 October 2002 on 2 May 2011
- Ellen Raphael, 'Students afraid of the dark', LM 117, p. 11, February 1999.
- Regester larkin Staff, retrieved from the Internet Archive of 13 April 2003 on 2 May 2011
- Regester Larkin Staff, retrieved from the Internet Archive of 14 July 2003 on 2 May 2011
- George Monbiot, Invasion of the Entryists, The Guardian, 9 Dec 2003, archived on Monbiot.com, acc 2 May 2010
- LinkedIn Ellen Raphael, accessed 1 February 2016.