Clifford Chance LLP are an international law firm, founded in 1987 and headquartered in London and with offices in Africa, Americas, Asia Pacific, Europe and the Middle East. They are in the top ten globally for staff working for them and revenue per year.
For the business year they received £1.359 billion, a 7% increase from the £1.271 billion the previous year, their profit is also up from £404 million to £459 million.
- 1 Background
- 2 APPC
- 3 Representation
- 4 People
- 5 Clients
- 6 Publications, Contact, Resources and Notes
Timeline of the origins of Clifford Chance LLP
- 1802: Anthony Brown begins his law practice, the predecessor of Coward Chance, in London.
- 1824: Brown & Marten is formed.
- 1830: Brown & Marten is renamed Brown, Marten & Brown.
- 1833: The firm becomes known as Brown, Marten & Thomas.
- 1844: The firm is renamed Brown, Thomas & Hollams.
- 1862: Thomas & Hollams becomes the new firm name.
- 1873: Hollams, Son & Coward is formed.
- 1889: Hollams, Sons, Coward & Hawksley is organized.
- 1900: H. Clifford Turner & Co., the second predecessor firm, is founded in London.
- 1905: The Clifford Turner firm adopts the new name Clifford Turner & Hopton.
- 1910: Hollams, Sons, Coward & Hawksley is renamed Coward & Hawksley, Sons & Chance.
- 1924: The Coward firm is renamed Coward, Chance & Co.
- 1926: The Clifford Turner firm is renamed Clifford-Turner, Hopton & Lawrence.
- 1934: Clifford-Turner becomes Clifford-Turner & Co.
- 1971: The Coward firm's name is simplified to Coward Chance.
- 1973: Coward Chance opens its first overseas office, in Brussels.
- 1975: Clifford-Turner & Co. is simplified to Clifford-Turner.
- 1987: Coward Chance and Clifford-Turner merge to create Clifford Chance.
- 2000: Clifford Chance becomes the world's largest law firm after mergers with New York's Rogers & Wells and Germany's Punder, Volhard, Weber & Axster.
Clifford Chance are not members of the Association of Professional Political Consultants, therefore their clients and staff do not appear on the register.
Citigate Dewe Rogerson replaced Edelman as the firm representing Clifford Chance in 2011. They started supporting the law firm's corporate reputation and business-to-business PR, focusing primarily on the UK but also including international work. The annual fee is thought to be in the low-end six-figure.
Executive leadership group
Set the Firm's strategy and oversees its implementation.
- Matthew Layton, managing partner
- Chris Perrin, executive partner and general counsel
- Laura King, global head of people and talent
- Stephen Purse, chief financial officer
- Amanda Burton, chief operating officer
- Rob Lee, global business unit leader: financial markets
- Guy Norman, global business unit leader: m&a and corporate transactions/advisory
- Jeremy Sandelson, global business unit leader: risk management, litigation and dispute resolution
- Evan Cohen, regional managing partner: Americas
- Peter Charlton, regional managing partner: Asia Pacific
- Yves Wehrli, regional managing partner: Continental Europe
- Peter Dieners, regional managing partner: Germany
Review the effectiveness of the executive leadership group.
- Katherine Coates
- Simon Davis
- Giuseppe De Palma
- Barbara Mayer-Trautmann
- Kate McCarthy
- Malcolm Sweeting, senior partner
- Tim Wang
Alliance Capital | BNP Paribas | Bank of America | Citigroup | Credit Suisse Group | Deutsche Bank | Goldman Sachs | JP Morgan Chase | Lehman Brothers | Merrill Lynch | Morgan Stanley | Prudential Financial | UBS
Communications, Media & Technology
Publications, Contact, Resources and Notes
- Address: 10 Upper Bank Street
- E14 5JJ
- United Kingdom
- Phone: +442070061000
- Kate Beioley Revenue hits £1.359bn at Clifford Chance, PEP up 16 per cent to £1.14m The Lawyer, 1 July 2014, accessed 31 October 2014
- Clifford Chance LLP History Funding Universe, accessed 31 October 2014
- Alec Mattinson City & Corporate: Clifford Chance calls in Citigate PR Week, 14 January 2011, accessed 31 October 2014
- how we manage our firm Clifford Chance, accessed 31 October 2014
- Clients Clifford Chance, accessed 31 October 2014
- Kate Beioley Guy Norman confirmed as Clifford Chance corporate head The Lawyer, 25 February 2014 , accessed 31 October 2014