Thomas R. Pickering (b. 5 Nov. 1931- ) served as U.S. Ambassador to Russia, India, Israel, Nigeria, Jordan, and El Salvador (during the height of the repression and death squad activity).
- 2008: Pickering admits that he was party to "US-Iran back channel talks".
- December 2005: Joins Ariel Sharon's Kadima party
- January 2001: Boeing Corporation, senior vice president for International Relations and a member of the Boeing Executive Council.
- May 1997 to 2001: Under Secretary for political affairs (retired in January 2001)
- 1993 to 1996: US ambassador to Russian Federation
- 1992 to 1993: US ambassador to India
- 1989 to 1992: Ambassador and Representative to the United Nations
- 1985 to 1988: US ambassador to Israel
- 1983 to 1985: US ambassador to El Salvador (at the height of the death squad activity and war)
- 1981 to 1983: US ambassador to Nigeria
- 1978 to 1981: Assistant Secretary for Oceans and International Environmental and Scientific Affairs
- 1974 to 1978: US ambassador to Jordan
- 1973 to 1974: Executive Secretary of the Department of State and Special Assistant to Secretaries William P. Rogers and Henry A. Kissinger
- 1967 to 1969: Deputy Chief of Mission in Dar Es Salaam
- 1962 to 1964: Political adviser to the U.S. Delegation to the 18-Nation Disarmament Conference in Geneva.
- 1959 to 1961 Bureau of Intelligence and Research of the State Department, in the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency
- 1956 to 1959: U.S. Navy
- 1954: Masters degree, Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University
- 1953: graduated from Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine
- American Academy of Diplomacy – Chairman
- American Iranian Council – Director
- Aspen Institute – Trustee
- Carnegie Corporation of New York – Trustee
- Center for Democracy – Director
- Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) – Member
- Eurasia Foundation – former President
- George C. Marshall Foundation – Trustee
- Henry L. Stimson Center – Director
- International Crisis Group - co-Chair
- International Economic Alliance – International Advisory Board
- International Institute for Strategic Studies – Member
- National Bureau of Asian Research (NBAR) – Director
- National Committee on American Foreign Policy – Trustee
- Partnership for a Secure America – Advisory Board
- Task Force on the United Nations – Member
Contact, References and Resources
Publications by Thomas R. Pickering
- "U.S.-Russia relations: building trade and investment" (speech), Vital Speeches of the Day, December 1, 1994 (v61 n4 p100(4)).
- "The Transatlantic Partnership: A History of Defending Freedom; A Future for Extending It." Address at Supreme Allied Commander Atlantic (SACLANT), Old Dominion University Symposium, Norfolk, Virginia, October 30, 1998.
- with James R. Schlesinger, "Weighing the Price of Rebuilding Iraq", The New York Times, April 12, 2003. Also see supporting CFR document.
- Transcript: "What Future for the UN? A Prelude to the 58th UN General Assembly," Council on Foreign Relations, September 9, 2003.
- with James R. Schlesinger and Eric Schwartz, "Iraq: One Year After", Independent Task Force Report, Council on Foreign Relations, March 2004.
- with James F. Dobbins and James R. Schlesinger, Transcript: "Iraq: One Year After," Council on Foreign Relations, March 9, 2004.
- with James R. Schlesinger, "Keep Iraq above Politics", Los Angeles Times, March 30, 2004.
- Bush to Nasrallah: An Offer Hezbollah Cannot Refuse? - Part I, Palestine Chronicle, 24 April 2008.
- Akiva Eldar, "America's man in the Middle East," Haaretz, 16 December 2005. However, it is most likely that he "joined" in jest.
- Board, American Academy of Diplomacy, accessed 30 July 2007.
- Advisory Boards, International Economic Alliance, accessed 16 January 2008.
- Principals, National Committee on American Foreign Policy, accessed 13 September 2007.