Teaching About Terrorism: University of Northampton
Teaching About Terrorism is a 2009/10 research project funded by C-SAP, one of the Higher Education Academy's subject networks. The project aims to research the extent and nature of teaching about terrorism in UK Universities, primarily in the disciplines of Sociology, Politics and Criminology.
Freedom of Information Request 1
- Does your institution provide any information or advice to students or staff on any potential liability under Terrorism legislation which might result from accessing materials for teaching or research? If so please provide copies of any documents held which detail or refer to such information or advice.
- The advice the University would give to its staff or students would be on a case by case basis and will not be formally documented.
- Does your institution have any kind of procedure to review or assess reading lists, module descriptors or other teaching materials which explicitly or in practice considers questions of safety and risk under terrorism legislation as part of its remit? If so please supply full details of this policy and procedure and advise when and how it was decided upon and implemented.
- The University reviews these questions as necessary as part of its overall consideration of teaching materials regardless of module title or content.
- Does your institution have any system, policy or procedure in place for dealing with any potential actions taken by the authorities against the institution, its students or staff under Terrorism legislation? If so please supply a copy of the policy and advise the date it was decided upon and implemented.
- The University would support its staff and students against unfounded allegations, while fully cooperating with the authorities as required by law.
- Does your institution have any system, policy or procedure in place for 'preventing violent extremism' as recommended for example in the government guidance document 'Promoting Good Campus Relations'?
- The University is currently considering this. Any policy or procedure development documentation will be intended for future publication and as such is exempt under Section 22 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
Freedom of Information Request 2
- Freedom of Information Results, Teaching About Terrorism: FOI Results
- University of Northampton, Teaching About Terrorism FOI 1 Response, Scribd