Teaching About Terrorism: University of Lincoln
Teaching About Terrorism is a 2009/10 research project funded by C-SAP, one of the Higher Education Academy's subject networks. The project aims to research the extent and nature of teaching about terrorism in UK Universities, primarily in the disciplines of Sociology, Politics and Criminology.
Freedom of Information Request 1
- Does your institution provide any information or advice to students or staff on any potential liability under Terrorism legislation which might result from accessing materials for teaching or research?
- The University does not currently provide any training for students or staff along the lines suggested.
- Does your institution have any kind of procedure to review or assess reading lists, module descriptors or other teaching materials which explicitly or in practice considers questions of safety and risk under terrorism legislation as part of its remit?
- The University does not have an institutional process to review teaching materials which explicitly consider questions of safety and risk under terrorism legislation. The Annual Monitoring and Periodic Academic Review processes, as elsewhere in the sector, focus on external examiner comments, academic standards and quality of learning opportunities.
- Does your institution have any system, policy or procedure in place for dealing with any potential actions taken by the authorities against the institution, its students or staff under Terrorism legislation?
- The University does not have a policy with regard to actions taken against the institution under terrorism legislation however we do promote positive race relations as part of our Equality and Diversity agenda.
- Does your institution have any system, policy or procedure in place for 'preventing violent extremism' as recommended for example in the government guidance document 'Promoting Good Campus Relations'.
- The University does not have a policy on preventing violent extremism but we do promote positive race relations as part of our Equality and Diversity agenda. However the University does have close links with Lincolnshire Police, including their PREVENT team.
Freedom of Information Request 2
- Freedom of Information Results, Teaching About Terrorism: FOI Results
- University of Lincoln, Teaching About Terrorism FOI 1 Response, Scribd