Strategic Programme Fund
The Strategic Programme Fund (SPF) - formerly the Global Opportunities Fund - was established in 2003 to support the Government’s 'international goals'.
- supported nearly 950 projects since 2003 ranging from climate change and energy, Afghan counter-narcotics and migration programmes, to sustainable development, relations with the Islamic world and economic governance.
Now its main focus is mainly to
- counter terrorism, weapons proliferation and their causes
- promote a low carbon, high growth global economy
- prevent and resolve conflict; and
- develop effective international institutions, above all the UN and EU
The SPF is funded as part of the FCO. According to the most up-to-date Annual Report 2006-7, the FCO's spending for that year stood at £128 million - the SPF spending accounted for 50 per cent of the FCO's annual budget.