Hammond was parliamentary private secretary to Eric Pickles as secretary of state for communities and local government 2010-12. Since 2012, he has been parliamentary under-secretary of state at the Department for Transport.
In the 2015 general election, Hammond retained his seat with a majority of 21,619. 
Months after leaving his role in the Department for Transport in the 2014 reshuffle, Hammond began working as an adviser for Inmarsat earning £800-an-hour. During his time in the Department for Transport, Hammond attended many official events alongside Inmarsat bosses and declared himself 'hugely impressed' by the company. 
Advisory committee on business appointments
Since leaving government in July 2014, Hammond has sought the advice of the Advisory Committee on Business Appointments regarding two new positions. The first was a part-time, paid appointment as Adviser with Inmarsat, a telecommunications company. The second was regarding a paid appointment as an adviser to the Confederation of Passenger Transport, for whom he had worked in a similar position before joining government.
For both roles, the committee stipulated that Hammond did not employ privileged information from his time in government whilst in the position, and that he serve a 2 year lobbying ban from his last day in office. He took up the positions in December 2014 and January 2016 respectively. 
- Holly Watt, Claire Newell and Ben Bryant, Stephen Hammond: Conservative minister's offshore deal cuts tax bill, Telegraph, 1 November 2013.
- Stephen Hammond, www.parliament.uk, accessed 4 November 2012.
- ELECTION 2015: Conservative's Stephen Hammond re-elected as Wimbledon MP Wimbledon Guardian, 8 May 2015, accessed 14 May 2015
- Jack Blanchard Tory MP's £800-an-hour second job: Stephen Hammond joins firm he praised as transport minister Mirror, 22 March 2015, accessed 23 March 2015
- Claire Phipps Reshuffle at a glance: who's in and who's out Guardian, 15 July 2014, accessed 23 March 2015
- Stephen Hammond Summary of Business Appointments, Gov.uk, accessed 2 June 2016
- Register of interests of members' secretaries and research assistants, 23 March 2016, parliament.uk, accessed 20 April 2016
- Wine & Spirit APPG Register Feb 16, www.parliament.uk, accessed 19 February 2016