Preparing for Power 1989
| LM network resources
Preparing for Power was published by the Revolutionary Communist Party. It was used to highlight a week of 'discussion and debate about the current state of the world and how to change it.' The event ran from 21 - 28 July 1989 and was held at the University of London. The full document can be viewed on Scribd.
Speakers / Schedule
- Friday 21 July
- Registration. A choice of sessions starting at 8pm including 'An absolute beginner's guide to the RCP'.
- Saturday 22 July
- Morning: Opening plenary 10.30am. 1789-1989: Hard-learned lessons for today.
- Afternoon: Various workshops and debates on key issues of British and international politics:
- Designer Capitalism
- Agenda for women's liberation
- Britain's Secret State
- Freedom and the individual
- The Greening of British politics
- Workers and their unions
- Peace breaks out? Angola, Afghanistan, Kampuchea
- Is fascism a threat?
- Ireland: 20 years of resistance
- What is a revolution?
- Ten years of Thatcherism
- The Bush presidency
- 1992 made simple
- Armenia erupts
- What about the British left?
- Inside South Africa
- Sunday 23 July - Thursday 27 July
- Morning: Specialist courses running from Sunday to Thursday:
- Frank Richards - Introduction to Marxism
- Mike Freeman - Social movement and class politics
- John Gibson - Marxism and the environment
- Daniel Nassim - Imperialism in the nineties
- Joan Phillips - New thinking and Marxism
- Alan Harding - The French Revolution and its legacy
- Tony Kennedy - The making of Marx's Capital
- Charles Longford - The Irish War for non-beginners
- Afternoon: Specialist courses running from Sunday to Thursday:
- Anne Burton - Women's oppression and liberation
- Phil Murphy - An introduction to the Irish War
- Kenan Malik - The roots of racism
- John Fitzpatrick - Marxism and culture
- Helen Simons - Issues in contemporary capitalism
- Rob Knight - The Soviet Union in the glasnost era
- Mick Hume - Strategic problems of the British revolution
- Christina Braun and Sabena Norton - Germany today
- Revolutionary Communist Party Preparing for Power, Summer 1989