Paul Smith is a Chief Superintendent with the Leicestershire Police. He is seconded to work with the RICU.
A biographical note issued at a Prevent meeting in Aberdeen in January 2009 notes:
- Paul currently serves as a Chief Superintendent with the Research Information and Communication Unit (RICU) within the OSCT, Home Office. He was appointed as a constable in 1979 and served through the ranks both in the City, and County of Leicester. He is qualified as a Crime reduction and architectural liaison officer. In the early 80s he was involved in the surveying of vulnerable sites in relation to the lRA terrorism threat at that time. At the rank of Inspector he was seconded to a youth charity and worked with offenders on 'day release' from prison.
- He has worked as a Local Policing Unit Inspector and later as a Chief Inspector, specialising in public order policing. Later at that rank he worked in Turkey during the first child abduction enquiry to be governed by the Hague Convention and was later promoted to the rank of Superintendent in the Force Inspectorate and Community Safety Bureau.
- Throughout that role he had overall responsibility for a range of subjects including intelligence, Partnerships, Neighbourhood Management, and the Prevention of Terrorism. He currently acts as an advisor to the St Phillips Ecumenical Centre, an important inter faith facility for the UK and related countries world wide. In November 2008 he was seconded to the National Co-ordinator for Special Branch and acts as a liaison officer to the Local Comms Team within RICU.
Subject PREVENT – PROGRESS REPORT LEICESTERSHIRE POLICE AUTHORITY, Meeting POLICE AUTHORITY Date WEDNESDAY 29 OCTOBER 2008 Report of CHIEF CONSTABLE.
- Paul Smith, Chief Superintendent, telephone 0116 248 5769
- email: email@example.com
- 'Speakers', TACKLING NEW PRIORITIES PREVENTING VIOLENT EXTREMISM IN OUR COMMUNITIES, Thursday 22 January 2009, Richard Donald Suite, Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
- Subject PREVENT – PROGRESS REPORT LEICESTERSHIRE POLICE AUTHORITY, Meeting POLICE AUTHORITY Date WEDNESDAY 29 OCTOBER 2008 Report of CHIEF CONSTABLE.