One Jerusalem is an extreme-right pressure group established in 2000 after the Camp David Summit in July. The project is partially underwritten by US casino mogul Sheldon Adelson.. One Jerusalem share the same Israel based IP address as the Policy Forum, Jeffrey Gedmin’s Case for Freedom and the blog of Caroline Glick, they also participated in the Democracy and Security International Conference. Dore Gold is a frequent contributor to the One Jerusalem website.
With funding form Sheldon Adelson, One Jerusalem was created in 2000 after the Camp David peace talks broached the idea of Jerusalem’s shared sovereignty between Israel and a Palestinian state, a notion considered anathema to hard-core Likudists. The group was founded by Natan Sharansky, Douglas Feith, Dore Gold, David Horowitz, the former chairman of the Jewish Institute for National Security Affairs (JINSA), David Steinmann, and Jackie Mason. The earliest available edition of the groups website dates from October 2000 and has a petition on the home page arguing against the division of Jerusalem.
An inaugural rally organised by One Jerusalem in January 2001 to protest the proposal of shared sovereignty over Jerusalem attracted a crowd variously described as thousands to 100,000.. Again in 2007, a week before the Annapolis conference the pressure group's chairman Natan Sharansky announced a major campaign against any division of Jerusalem, and against the peace initiative. According to the Connie Bruck of the New Yorker:
- One Jerusalem referred to Annapolis as “the Munich Conference of the 21st century.” After Olmert asserted Israel’s right as a sovereign state to make decisions regarding its national security, One Jerusalem posted an article on its Web site, headlined, “OLMERT TO WORLD JEWRY: SHUT UP.” Later, as Olmert’s negotiations with Abbas continued, another piece announced, “OLMERT DECLARES WAR ON ISRAEL.”
- Case for Freedom
- Policy Forum
- Smith Richardson Foundation
- Democracy & Security International Conference
- Website: http://www.onejerusalem.org
- Jim Lobe, More on That Meeting in Prague…, Lobelog.com, 14 June 2007
- Connie Bruck, The Brass Ring: A multibillionaire’s relentless quest for global influence, New Yorker, 30 June 2008
- Jim Lobe, More on the Likudist Fronts, IPS, 21-April-2008, Accessed 19-June-2009
- Jim Lobe, More on that meeting in Prague, IPS, 14-June-2007, Accessed 19-June-2009
- Read the Petition to Save Jerusalem, Onejerusalem.org, Internet Archive, 18-October-2000, Accessed 19-June-2009
- Clinton envoy makes one last try at Middle East peace agreement, CNN, 8 January 2001
- Connie Bruck, The Brass Ring: A multibillionaire’s relentless quest for global influence, New Yorker, 30 June 2008.
- Chris Mitchell, Sharansky on 'One Jerusalem' and Annapolis, 20-November-2007
- Jim Lobe, More on the Likudist Fronts, IPS, 21-April-2008, Accessed 09-April-2009