Margaret White (alias)
Margaret White is the cover name used by a former undercover officer with the Special Demonstration Squad who was deployed for several months in 1968 into the Vietnam Solidarity Campaign.
For the purposes of the Undercover Policing Inquiry and Operation Herne, she is also referred to by the cipher HN334 (for the N cipher system see N officers). The Inquiry has ruled that the officer's real name will be restricted.
As an SDS officer
Mitting wrote of her: No allegation of misconduct against her. She served with Special Operations Squad 1968-72. In 1968 she was deployed for several months against the Vietnam Solidarity Campaign as the girlfriend of another SDS undercover officer, Don de Freitas (HN330). Thereafter, according to her own recollection, she performed back office duties only.'
In the Undercover Policing Inquiry
- 1 August 2017: Metropolitan Police make application to restrict her real name.
- November 2017: Mitting stated was minded-to: restrict real name. He noted she wished to 'preserve her privacy and that of her family', and it was unlikely that surviving members of the groups she targeted would recall her.
- 6 March 2018: cover name and target group released.
- Kate Wilkinson, Counsel to the Inquiry's Explanatory Note to accompany the Chairman's 'Minded-To' Note 12 in respect of applications for restrictions over the real and cover names of officers of the Special Operations Squad and the Special Demonstration Squad, Undercover Public Inquiry, 13 September 2018.
- In the matter of section 19 (3) of the Inquiries Act 2005 Applications for restriction orders in respect of the real and cover names of officers of the Special Operations Squad and the Special Demonstrations Squad ‘Minded to’ note 2, Undercover Policing Inquiry, 14 November 2017 (accessed 15 November 2017).
- Open application for a restriction order (anonymity) re: HN334, Metropolitan Police Service, 1 August 2017, published 8 May 2018 via ucpi.org.uk.
- Cover names released: "Don de Freitas” and “Margaret White” - Vietnam Solidarity Campaign, 1968 - Undercover Policing Inquiry, 6 March 2018). See also ucpi.org.uk/cover-names, accessed 6 March 2018.
- In the matter of section 19 (3) of the Inquiries Act 2005 Applications for restriction orders in respect of the real and cover names of officers of the Special Operations Squad and the Special Demonstrations Squad: Ruling, Undercover Policing Inquiry, 15 May 2018.
- Sir John Mitting, Restriction order under Section 19 of The Inquiries Act 2005 (HN334), Undercover Policing Inquiry, 9 October 2018.