Sacerdoti on Sky News defending Israel's actions the day after its 2010 raid on the Gaza flotilla
Jonathan Sacerdoti is a Director of the Institute for Middle Eastern Democracy based in the UK and is also registered as a director of a UK branch of the Simon Wiesenthal Centre, alongside Marvin Hier - founder and dean of the orginal centre, based in the USA - and others. He has also worked as Director of Public Affairs at the Zionist Federation and is currently a member of the International Division of the Board of Deputies of British Jews. Since August 2014, Sacerdoti has been the spokesperson for the Campaign Against Antisemitism UK.
Sacerdoti studied English Language and Literature at Balliol College, Oxford University.
In 4 May 2010 Sacerdoti reportedly spoke publicly about ‘ways to use Facebook, Twitter and other online resources to advocate for Israel’ at a Zionist Federation Israel advocacy event called 'Talk for Israel'.
On 30 November 2012 Sacerdoti collaborated with Gili Brenner of StandWithUs to make a video for what they called 'Buy Israeli Goods Day', intended to counter the boycott divestment and sanctions campaign against Israel.
On 24 February 2011 he met Ron Prosor, former Israeli ambassador to the UK. A picture of him with Prosor, Gili Brenner of StandWithUs and pro-Israel blogger Chas Newkey-Burden was posted on the latter's website.
Defending Israel in the media
Appearances on the BBC during Operation 'Pillar of Cloud'
Sacerdoti appeared on BBC news programmes four times in two days between 14-15 November 2012 and was described as being from the Institute for Middle Eastern Democracy giving the impression that he was a neutral expert on the region. Each time he defended Israel's attacks on Gaza and each time no alternative perspective was given by the BBC.
Campaign Against Antisemitism
The Campaign Against Antisemitism was established in early August 2014 'by half-a-dozen activists and funded by private donations', presenting itself as a response to the higher levels of anti-Israel and allegedly anti-Jewish sentiment triggered by Israel's 'Operation Protective Edge' operation in Gaza. Jonathan Sacerdoti is its spokesperson. On 31 August 2014 the group reportedly organised a march against antisemitism of 4,000 people in Central London, backed by the United Synagogue and the Office of the Chief Rabbi. Said Jonathan Sacerdoti of this backing: 'The establishment was very supportive; some might say they didn’t want to get left behind'. On the day of the protest, he told a reporter,
It is great that the communal organisations who have been criticised for not doing enough have come on board and have supported us in organising an important day.
As Sacerdoti's comment suggests, and as Ha'aretz reports, the Campaign Against Antisemitism is an intervention in Anglo-Jewish politics. Its context appears to be one of increasing grassroots discontent among Jewish and pro-Israel activists with the performance of communal bodies on Israel and antisemitism. As one newspaper reported:
At the rally, there was audible booing when the representatives of the Board of Deputies – President Vivian Wineman and Senior Vice President Laura Marks – ascended the podium to speak. The Jewish Chronicle’s Marcus Dysch tweeted that people were shouting things like 'you need to do more', 'resign', and 'shame'.
Sacerdoti was widely quoted in the media speaking about the 31 August rally. He urged a 'zero tolerance' approach to 'turn the tide' of antisemitism, and claimed British Jews 'feel overlooked and not protected enough'.
- Board of Deputies of British Jews
- Institute for Middle Eastern Democracy
- Simon Wiesenthal Centre
- Zionist Federation
- Campaign Against Anti-Semitism
- Who is Jonathan Sacerdoti, the BBC’s Go-To Man on Gaza?, New Left Project, 16 November 2012
- Former Zionist Federation Official on the Run, New Left Project, 17 November 2012.
- Ben White, The Numbers Speak for Themselves, Electronic Intifada, 1 January 2012
- About Us, IMED, accessed 16 July 2012
- SIMON WIESENTHAL CENTRE IN THE UNITED KINGDOM, Company Check, accessed 19 July 2012
- ZIONIST FEDERATION CONDEMNS TUC CONGRESS APPROVAL OF DISCRIMINATORY BOYCOTT OF ISRAELI GOODS, Zionist Federation News, accessed 19 July 2012
- 'Who we are', CampaignAgainstAntisemitism.com; accessed: 16 September, 2014.
- Jonathan Sacerdoti, Yatedo, accessed 16 November 2012
- How to advocate for Israel, Screengrab made 15 November 2012
- Jonathan Sacerdoti on Al Jazeera discussing the Gaza flotilla incident Youtube via MrJonSac, 1 June 2010, accessed 16 November 2012
- Jonathan Sacerdoti, live interview on Sky News regarding the flotilla incident, Youtube via MrJonSac, 1 June 2010, accessed 16 November 2012
- Sacerdoti meeting Peres, Flickr Screengrab made 15 November 2012
- Sacerdoti and Brenner video, Screengrab made 15 November 2012
- Sacerdoi with Prosor, Screengrab made 15 November 2012
- Sacerdoti at pro-Israel rally, Screengrab made 15 November 2012
- Results of Board Divisional Elections, Board of Deputies of British Jews, accessed 31 July 2012
- Who is Jonathan Sacerdoti, the BBC’s Go-To Man on Gaza?, New Left Project, 16 November 2012, accessed 17 November 2012
- Daniella Peled, 'Shaken by post-Gaza war hostility, U.K. Jews push back', Ha'aretz (15 September, 2014).
- Rosa Doherty, 'Thousands turn out for London rally against antisemitism', Jewish Chronicle (31 August, 2014).
- Liam Hoare, 'Thousands rally in London against rising anti-Semitism', Times of Israel (1 September, 2014).
- Anil Dawar, 'Police must do more to tackle the rise of anti-Semitism, campaigners say', Daily Express (28 August, 2014).